If you had to repair this, what would you do!? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
I guess first I would advise apologizing for posting false info about me before asking for help, but thats just me
I second this motion.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #22

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
I guess first I would advise apologizing for posting false info about me before asking for help, but thats just me. Then, I'd advise taking off the old patch, do a full length inside and then outside patch. Before you do your outside patch make sure the inside patch is mostly if not fully holding air. In the shop I would do the outside patch inflated. Good luck.
I would ask him nicely do the repair, that's a bad rip.
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

Upstate, South Carolina
I would love to send this to a pro. But shipping boats isnít cheap. I donít think I have anyone in my local area.
Anton8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #24

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton8100 View Post
I would love to send this to a pro. But shipping boats isn’t cheap. I don’t think I have anyone in my local area.
Anton,

Maybe you saved enough on the boat to have enough $$ left over to ship the boat to ZB and have it done professionally. Then you'll be able to come to CO and have a fun boating vacation on the Arkansas River which runs right behind ZB's shop...

If you have it done professionally, you'll have the peace of mind knowing that your home-made patch isn't going to blow out in the middle of the next rapid. Typing from experience, with a patch that size there's lots of potential for your first-time home patch job to go wrong. Then you're removing the patch, having to remove ALL the old glue before you prep the surface again, and repatching again (and again, and again until you get it right). If you do the job yourself, your maiden voyage should be after letting the glue cure completely, leak testing, and letting the inflated boat sit overnight to slow-leak-test further. Then do a roadside run so you're not stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat boat and a patch job that's too big for riverside repair.

Not trying to be harsh but there's a good reason you got such a great deal on the boat. If the patch was so easy, the owner would've done it and held onto the boat.

Note - if you fill in your location info on your profile, folks may be able to suggest repair shops that are local to you, but as it is, we have no idea where you are. Don't reply back and tell us, just go into the User CP and add it.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #25

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
If you think paying a professional is expensive try having an amateur do.
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #26

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the welder View Post
If you think paying a professional is expensive try having an amateur do.
If you pay with peanuts you're gonna get monkeys.
missiongravity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #27

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by missiongravity View Post
If you pay with peanuts you're gonna get monkeys.

I may have to steal that one, for the next time somebody tryís to nickel and dime me for repairing their home, and straightening out the last guys mess.
Old 6 Days Ago   #28

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Just wanted it to be known, that I was NOT recommending Zach from Raftfix.com, as a source for free advice, but as a boat repair professional, to take said raft to, for what looks like a challenging repair.

He has been pretty darn cool though, to offer up repair advice on this site. Possibly sharing more hard learned knowledge, then I am willing to offer up in my line of work....
Old 6 Days Ago   #29

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
There is totally nothing wrong with saying I fucked up and thank you for the great advice and the solution to repairing my boat. Plus you will likely receive more great advice when needed for other boating questions.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #30

Upstate, South Carolina
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	602.5 KB
ID:	34807Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	34809