Ideas on making the GF more comfortable in the water. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 01-28-2019   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Ideas on making the GF more comfortable in the water.

Hey everyone,

My GF has has some issues with water in the past (I forget what happened). She did well on my ducky going through some descent water last year, as I get into boating this year I'd like to get her more comfortable in the water for when she swims, do you have any suggestions? I know I worried much less about falling out of a boat after swimming through a few rapids.

Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019   #2
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd say if your plan is to swim her to make her more comfortable in the water she may not be your girlfriend for long...

On a more realistic note, get her a drysuit, a better higher float PFD, and a really good helmet. Make her feel safe and warm and keep her at the top of the water when she swims.

Good luck though, hope you report back in July after a few good June swims.
Old 01-28-2019   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I don't think swimming her is a good idea. There are enough people on here with wives and kids I bet there are some techniques to making the transition.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the Kayaker View Post
I'd say if your plan is to swim her to make her more comfortable in the water she may not be your girlfriend for long...

On a more realistic note, get her a drysuit, a better higher float PFD, and a really good helmet. Make her feel safe and warm and keep her at the top of the water when she swims.
^^^^^This, for starters - the drysuit, good PFD and helmet, warm booties, gloves, be ready to suit her up until it's hot out. The next thing would be scale back your ambitions of having her challenged from the word go. Get out on some mellower water. Remember that she may not be as gung ho as you and may be doing the whole thing out of her love for you, rather than for excitement and thrills. If she loves you enough to do stuff that scares the hell out her, maybe you should be ready to spend time with her on mellow desert floats and places where the scenery is more of an attraction than the whitewater.

If you really want her to swim a rapid, the Little D wave train on Westwater is a good swim in July or August when the water's warm and the flow's down.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Durango has a sweet river park right?

I'd go down there weekly on a nice hot summer low-flow day with PFD's (wetsuit too?) and lots of people around (mostly way younger than us) and an IK and/or a SUP and/or boogie board and/or whatever other river toys are available and just build confidence in a low risk setting.

That strategy was very successful while I raised school aged kids, and their training definitely incorporated the 'swim her' method more than once, and always within controlled conditions. But breaking in grown-ups can be a different story. Good luck!
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #6

Banff, alberta
Giver her some vodka and huck her in the drink!!!!
gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Swimming rapid for fun will absolutely help with confidence. Surfing the holes at the Animas play park will help. Those babies will chunder the hell out of ya at higher water. Practice hanging out in an eddy, swimming into the current and getting back to shore within a certain distance down stream.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #8

Is this question for real? Sounds like you have already scared the hell out of her bud. I don't think the concern at the time should be getting her comfortable with a swim but rather you being more comfortable with the water you are taking her on (if she even wants to go on, this should never be something forced). Proper training on your end and also appropriate water for her comfort level and your skill level should be a primary focus.
Spintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #9

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Spintown has it right. Does she have a legit phobia about water? If she does you are asking alot. Like taking someone with a fear of heights up El Cap in Yosemite. You need to find out exactly what's up with her fear of water before you try to "swim her". If she has a legit phobia about water you are probably never going to get her over it. Legit phobias are kind of hard wired into the brain stem IMHO. By the way, if she does have a true fear of water and she's willing to go boating with you she really gives a shit about you.
jamesthomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #10

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Phobia or not, a fear of any type of situation, from public speaking to running Lava, may be helped by doing the "What if ?" scenarios. In a safe environment, she can talk out, visualize and come up with possible solutions to the situation of taking a swim. It is often the not knowing what might happen that creates anxiety.