Ideas for raft trailer bed to ease loading? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 07-26-2011   #1

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Ideas for raft trailer bed to ease loading?

I have a very heavy raft/frame. It's great for fishing but is tough to load on the trailer. I have a roller and winch on my trailer, which has a wooden bed, but it's still hard to load the raft. Someone once told me there are strips of some kind of material that you can attach to the wooden bed so the raft slides easier across it. I don't recall the material. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dakota7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011   #2

Denver, Colorado
Have you tried outdoor carpet? The green plastic stuff.

Other folks have luck with LineX or generic from the hardware store.
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #3

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota7 View Post
I have a very heavy raft/frame. It's great for fishing but is tough to load on the trailer. I have a roller and winch on my trailer, which has a wooden bed, but it's still hard to load the raft. Someone once told me there are strips of some kind of material that you can attach to the wooden bed so the raft slides easier across it. I don't recall the material. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
One suggestion would be to cut several lengths of PVC pipe the same length as your trailer width. When you go to load, space the pipes along the length of your trailer and as the boat loads, the pipes will roll with the boat and make it load easier. When the boat is in position, you can either pull them or leave them in place. The pipes sort of act like roller bearings. Not much of investment either.
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011   #4

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Any outdoor carpet works good. From time to time I spray mine with just a little 303 Protectant in the main slide paths and can manuever a 16' oar frame and boat like it was nothing!
Best of luck,
Coon
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #5

Seems like strips of any kind of plastic/molding or even metal strips would do the trick. Maybe some trex molding strips? Pipe cut length wise into half rounds and mounted? Seems like there would be a lot of good options.

Another idea would be to change the winch to something with a higher ratio with more load capacity so it feels easier to you or go to a 12 volt electric winch.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #6

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks folks. I really appreciate the ideas.
Dakota7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #7
4Life

Moustacheville, North Carolina
Where can I buy said rollers? I am looking for two about 1 foot long each.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #8

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag View Post
Where can I buy said rollers? I am looking for two about 1 foot long each.
As posted in another thread about trailer rollers:

Northern Tool - Northern Industrial Roller and Bracket Set customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
Old 07-27-2011   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Also, if your truck has a ladder rack, put a pulley up there so you can winch it from higher up. i put another pulley on the chicken line, so it is 2-1. Don't put all that stress on jut the front D- ring. Losing more friction with rollers or 303 will help too. Maybe just 303 the bottom of the boat.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #10
Boof like a Utard.

Moab, Utah
Instead of a z-drag for your trailer, or rollers, or astroturf, or 303--just repack your trailer bearings with submersible grease and replace your trailer tail lights with submersible LED's. I got a kit at checkers for around $60. Rewiring your trailer will take time (and so will repacking your bearings annually), but when you float your boat halfway onto the trailer, and slide it the rest of the way (by yourself), you'll know it was time well spent. My 14' self-bailer slides off the trailer and back on (rigged for an overnight) with one person. My trailer is a flatbed with a painted plywood deck. Good luck.
kennyv is offline   Reply With Quote