Hyside Outiftter VS NRS Expedition - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2013   #1
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hyside Outiftter VS NRS Expedition

Anyone have any opinions on which raft is more durable and better built? Talking about the newer boats, like lets say 2006 and newer.

I know it looks like the NRS has a full coating on the bottom, do the hysides? Is it just black on the floor and blue on the tubes on hysides or is there actually more material under a NRS? Or are the outfitters more like the NRS Otter??

I know the handles suck on the NRS no need to comment there.

Thwart system, which do you think is better, NRS BAT system or the Hyside Hing and Pin?

Thanks for your input, just been wondering and there are not reviews comparing these boats side by side.

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I don't have personal experience with the NRS, but I did get a Hyside Outfitter raft this season. They both are hypalon and the fabric is about the same denier on both (1670-NRS, 1680-Hyside). I took the thwarts out as soon as I got the boat because I will only use it with a frame. The thwarts weren't too hard to remove, just took a firm pull to get the pins out. The Hysides have urethane bottom chafers which I like. I have had several Maravia catarafts, so I know how tough urethane is. So far I have no complaints about my Hyside. It appears sturdy and well made. The Hyside was about $900 less than the same size NRS Expedition, wider, lighter weight, and came with free shipping. The NRS Expedition does have a longer warranty.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #3
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey thanks for your reply to my post, so do you think the 900 more for the NRS is justified? Are they tougher? I mean it seems like the NRS boats have more rubber on the bottom, but its soft sticky penl orca or whatever they call it. The Hysides do have the tough urethane chaffers on the bottom of the tubes, but is the bottom of the floor reinforced as well?

Also I think I sent you a PM but not sure, would you be willing to sell one thwart since you wont be using them? Did you have 3 or 2 with your boat? I'd buy both if you really didnt need them. PM me and we can chat.
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the Kayaker View Post
Hey thanks for your reply to my post, so do you think the 900 more for the NRS is justified? Are they tougher? I mean it seems like the NRS boats have more rubber on the bottom, but its soft sticky penl orca or whatever they call it. The Hysides do have the tough urethane chaffers on the bottom of the tubes, but is the bottom of the floor reinforced as well?

Also I think I sent you a PM but not sure, would you be willing to sell one thwart since you wont be using them? Did you have 3 or 2 with your boat? I'd buy both if you really didnt need them. PM me and we can chat.
My catarafts have mostly been Maravias which are urethane, so I really like the urethane on the Hyside. Tough stuff and it helps slide over rocks better. I really don't know anything about NRS boats. I don't know anyone personally who owns one. I will keep my thwarts in case I ever have the need to use the 12 ft raft as a paddle raft, and for resale value if I ever sell the raft.

Right now I am debating selling my 14 ft. cat and getting a 14 ft. raft. My top contenders at the moment are Hyside and Sotar. I'll base my final decision on specs/dimensions, weight, availability, and price.

Hopefully an NRS owner will see this thread and chime in with their observations.
Old 06-14-2013   #5

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Hey CG, saw you broke your leg. How'd you do that?
Trout Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #6

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Hunter View Post
Hey CG, saw you broke your leg. How'd you do that?
I'm fine on the river, but not so good on dry land. I slipped and fell walking into a restaurant for lunch. Broke the femur just above my previous knee replacement. Huge bummer. Ruined my summer plans for sure. Maybe back on the water in the fall? At least I got a Deso trip with my new little raft in before I wiped out.
Old 06-14-2013   #7

Crested Butte, Colorado
Dang. Sorry about that. I see you fly fish. Can you wade or is that out too?
Old 06-14-2013   #8

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Hunter View Post
Dang. Sorry about that. I see you fly fish. Can you wade or is that out too?
Two more weeks of non-weight bearing, then we'll see about walking again? I'm afraid my summer is going to consist of physical therapy and patience. I hope I can float & fish in the fall? I had such wonderful plans to float and fish the Southfork Snake this summer. Oh well.

Sorry for the thread drift P the K. NRS owners speak up please.
Old 06-14-2013   #9

Totah, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 07
I've guided both NRS and Hyside boats for different companies, I like both boats, but I think Hysides stay nicer longer- haven't seen the seems fray on a 5 year-old hyside but have on an NRS, and I like the pin thwart system more on the Hysides than the flat plastic tab thing on the NRS -which always dug into my shin and seemed kinda rickety.
suzannetheotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #10

Crested Butte, Colorado
thread hijack

Sorry for the prior thread tangent. Newbie mistake.