Hypalon repair question. Hyside - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Days Ago   #1

Gunnison, colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Hypalon repair question. Hyside

So I found this small wear point on the outside side tube this morning. This boat is pretty darn new and I can not for the life of me figure out how or when it happened. Anyway, I have been doing some research and havent found a ton of useful information. The damage is only about 1/4 inch long and does not leak air. I read on NRS's website that Aquaseal is an option...should I put a small patch over it, or should I just live with it? Click image for larger version

Name:	20190814_152303.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	38371

Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
I have one of those, it was from a strap buckle rubbing on it during a drive back from the Rio Chama. I've just left mine for now, but the next time I've got the glue out, I'll probably add a patch.
gwheyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #3

Gunnison, colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwheyduke View Post
I have one of those, it was from a strap buckle rubbing on it during a drive back from the Rio Chama. I've just left mine for now, but the next time I've got the glue out, I'll probably add a patch.
I stumbled across this while doing a little research, I may go this route unless others have a better solution. Worth checking out https://www.nrs.com/boating_tips/fixyourscrim.asp
Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
I'd try the aqua seal and then put a piece of tear aid over that and call it a day.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #5

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I’ve got plenty of spots on my old NRS that have rubbed on rocks and stuff, causing various scrim shots and superficial cuts. I’ve done Aqua seal on a bunch of them, but it always seems to yellow and start flaking after a year or so.
I would probably lean to just putting a patch over it myself.

NRS has some really good cold gluing tutorials as well, if you do go that route.
Old 3 Days Ago   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
It looks pretty deep. Patch it.
Old 3 Days Ago   #7

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
It looks like barb wire poked it fairly deep. I'd put pure pvc glue on it if it was my PVC IK, but there may be a better choice on Hypalon. When it drys and hardens, sand it all smooth with a coarse nail file.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #8

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffGonG View Post
I stumbled across this while doing a little research, I may go this route unless others have a better solution. Worth checking out https://www.nrs.com/boating_tips/fixyourscrim.asp
Interesting... that article says aquaseal sticks to neoprene but doesn't say anything about hypalon. I know they're similar but similar enough?

If I did this fix I'd test it on a piece of scrap and then try to peel it off and see how it holds.

I tried a 3m adhesive on a test piece of hypalon that I had read will stick to it but I could peel it off after.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #9

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I'd try the aqua seal and then put a piece of tear aid over that and call it a day.
The tear aid isn't really abrasion resistant... if you're leaking air then patch, if not, skip it.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #10

Gunnison, colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
It looks pretty deep. Patch it.
Alright thats what I'll do, thanks for the advice. Sucks, the boat has only been on the water twice and Im already patching it!