How un-potable is Deso water? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2017   #1

Athens, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2000
How un-potable is Deso water?

This has been in the back of my mind ever since running Deso last summer...

The ranger last year told us to plan on carrying all of our water for the entire week, because the main river is polluted with petroleum industry chemicals, and the side creeks would not likely be running. No problem, we packed all of our water; however, we passed two different solo travelers, one in a ducky, the other in a Stinger. Both were traveling very light and appeared to be carrying no more than a couple of Nalgenes for water, so I assume they were filtering the main river each day.

Is the river less nasty than the ranger made it sound, or were those folks just rolling the dice that whatever toxic crap is in the Green would not build up enough to harm them during a week long trip?

ohioboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Sweet Jeebus. I wouldn't drink that water, even with filtering, alum and more filtering.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #3

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboater View Post

The ranger last year told us to plan on carrying all of our water for the entire week, because the main river is polluted with petroleum industry chemicals, and the side creeks would not likely be running. No problem, we packed all of our water; however, we passed two different solo travelers, one in a ducky, the other in a Stinger. Both were traveling very light and appeared to be carrying no more than a couple of Nalgenes for water, so I assume they were filtering the main river each day.

Is the river less nasty than the ranger made it sound, or were those folks just rolling the dice that whatever toxic crap is in the Green would not build up enough to harm them during a week long trip?
Visually, its one of the grossest to think about finding potable water from on a rafting trip.

I know the water sources sampled in the Green River districts of Utah BLM lands tested consistently outside exceedence levels in a study in 2010-ish. The streams and rivers in that region carried way too much phosphorous and nitrogen. I assume that is related to the agriculture throughout the region.

I have been told about minor to moderate spills from the wells along the Tavaputs, though I think it was mostly byproducts not anything oil. Still, the number of wells in that drainage (Green and White) is staggering and the type of products they use are not anything I want to ingest.

I would drink it in a last ditch effort to stave off dangerous levels of dehydration but nothing else.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Its questionably legal to walk up to it since its owned by the Utes and I've heard the water quality is questionable too, but there is a spring/spigot at McPherson Ranch/Ouray Lodge that might be a good alternative to filtering out of the river itself.

Probably better to just bring what you need with you though.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #5
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboater View Post

Yikes, I barely want to float Deso, but drink it? No thanks!. This makes me think of seeing people drink water out of the San Juan....all the upstream farms, fertilizer and chemicals, not to mention oil and gas waste, old mining waste, cattle waste....yum. drink up!
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I launch in 3 weeks. I won't even think about drinking it. I don't even like the idea of using it for dishes and cleaning but we're not going to carry that much clean water.
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
So what you guys are saying is that using a filter such as a Sawyer filter system, does not totally remove pollutants?
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #8

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Filter systems like the Sawyer work like a very fine mesh, they will remove undisolved particles from the water that are below a certain size. Depending on the mesh size of your brand they will remove stuff like giardia (a viral cyst) and harmful bacteria but will not do anything for dissolved chemicals or heavy metals.

From the Sawyer web site...
Does the Sawyer filter remove taste, chemicals and heavy metals from water?

Taste
The Sawyer filter removes taste that comes from bacteria, dirt, and green matter.

Chemicals
The Sawyer filter does NOT remove iron, sulfur, other chemicals, or simple compounds. Taste can be masked by using flavor additives like Gatorade or crystal light (filter needs to be cleaned immediately after using them).

Heavy Metals
The Sawyer filters are not made with charcoal. While other portable filters have charcoal, they lack in amount of media and adequate dwell time. Therefore, they only remove small amounts of heavy metals, pesticides, etc. (when used in real life applications). Try using better sources of water, if possible.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #9

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Come on folks, 20 million people drink, shower, and cook with that water every day and the majority of our countries produce is irrigated with it. If you need to, settle and treat it and you will be fine.

That being said, I usually carry most of my water and if I need more, I use springs/ clear tributaries because it tastes better and takes less settling, but if i needed to, I would treat and drink Green River water without hesitation.

By the way, if anyone finds or knows of any reputable sources that have reported about dangerous levels (or even measurable levels) of petroleum industries chemicals in the Green River, I would love to read about it. I don't doubt that there is some impact, but I have never actually seen it reported.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #10
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
We have been filtering and drinking water out of Rock Creek, the spring at McPherson, and even Range Creek when it flows, for decades. We have been cleaning and rinsing dishes with settled Green River water as well. The only reason we did not try to filter river water for consumption is how much more time it takes to settle and filter, because it is almost always turbid (muddy). We have also eaten catfish from the Green for decades. Hope I survive. IMO, a public official is never going to recommend using river water, as a matter of policy.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote