in the, land of milk and honey
how to refinish oars

CeeEee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #2

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Sweet Video! Just what I needed, I'm going to clean mine up this week as I put all my gear away for the year. Cheers!
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
You can use Spar urethane and do this every year, or use 2 part epoxy from https://www.westsystem.com/ and never do it again... Same prep, just paint on the epoxy, keep the oars above 60 degrees and it cures overnight. Make sure you buy the clear epoxy and not the translucent stuff if you wanna look at the oars wrapping.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Days Ago   #4

in the, land of milk and honey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
You can use Spar urethane and do this every year, or...
Did you see the part in the video where I said, "Half you you are going to tell me I'm doing it wrong, and the other half will find a more complicated way to do it?"

Yeah. That's one of my favorite parts of the video.
CeeEee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #5

Salida, Colorado
Yep, I watched it, you laid out the process well. I just suggested a longer lasting coating, the point of your last post is that you're clairvoyant?

I cursed the cataract shafts for years, having to go thru the mess of sanding and spraying urethane yearly, and then still getting fiberglass on my skin, a friend who builds wooden boats coats his wooden oars in epoxy, said it has lasted for 10 years.

Who wouldn't want to know this information? I know I sure did.

Thanks for the video, and sorry I apparently crapped in your cheerio's
Old 2 Days Ago   #6

Golden, Colorado
Pretty sure CeeEee pulled me over in South Parkistan last weekend.

griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #7

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Pretty sure CeeEee pulled me over in South Parkistan last weekend.

ROTFLMAO!!

Thanks for the laugh Griz!
Old 1 Day Ago   #8

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
You can use Spar urethane and do this every year, or use 2 part epoxy from https://www.westsystem.com/ and never do it again... Same prep, just paint on the epoxy, keep the oars above 60 degrees and it cures overnight. Make sure you buy the clear epoxy and not the translucent stuff if you wanna look at the oars wrapping.
Which product do you purchase and how much?
SlipShot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #9

Salida, Colorado
I use the 105 resin and the 207 clear hardener,

https://www.westsystem.com/105-epoxy-resin/

https://www.westsystem.com/207-special-clear-hardener/

I buy it by the gallon but I think a quart would do 4 oars with some left over for other projects. It's got a decent shelf life, and the metering pumps they sell help immensely with mixing the proper quantities. It works well with fiberglass matting and is also good for laminating wood.

https://www.westsystem.com/coating-quantity/, it says will cover 90 to 105sf per quart for the initial coat, and if you want to put on build up coats it'll cover 120 it 135 sf. I'd recommend 3 coats, you can do that all in a day.

You can purchase similar products from US Composites and other suppliers but I like the westsystem as it has little smell to it compared to other products I've used.
Old 1 Day Ago   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
While it does end with a super nice finish, that resin isn't UV stabilized and will break down. I do believe that west systems does make a stabilized resin, but I'm not sure. If you use what nichols has suggested, you should still coat with a UV protectant..... like Spar Varnish.... so now your doing it twice anyways.

I've done both and the 2 part epoxy lasted about 5 years (no UV stabilizer, nor overcoat). Now, I just buy a can of spray on spar varnish and spray my oars every two years or so. I literally wipe them down with steel wool, wipe of with a damp rag and spray. It takes about 20-30 minutes per coat and I keep coating until the can is gone, usually 2 or so heavy coats. I also got rid of all my cataract oars years ago in favor of sawyers, as they don't leave splinters. I re-coat them purely for aesthetics.

just my 2 pennies.