how to reduce oar-oarlock slop? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-18-2012   #1

Logan, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
how to reduce oar-oarlock slop?

(disclaimer-I've searched for the answer and can't find it, but I'm fairly new to rafting)
I've got a new-to-me 14.5 SB, and I've got what seems like excessive slop between the oarlocks and the oar sleeves. I've rowed friends rafts, and their system is so much tighter. I've got the standard Carlisle oars with sleeves, no rights, and ?brass? oarlocks that look like everyone else's. It's loud and clunky and makes it hard to just settle into being on the oars. How can I reduce the amount of free space between the locks and sleeves so I've got less play in there? Or is play a good thing, my friends are set up too tight, and I'll get used to it?

sssarahevt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
They should just grab around the shaft without the sleeve. You dont want them excessively loose because popping them out in a rapid could involve a flip or a wrap.

I have a friend who blames every mistake he makes on the oarlocks

The brass ones are malleable. Tightening them up involves some tapping against concrete or use a flat rock if you are on the river without options.

I think nrs has a video
Old 08-18-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/Video_Lib...p=17&loadvid=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012   #4

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
It's pretty common for the bronze ones to bend a little when you pop an oar. Easily bent back to shape with some careful hammer blows as others have suggested.

Here is a link to the NRS web page showing the correct dimensions for a new one....
NRS Superston Open Oarlocks at NRSweb.com

I would start by measuring them and see if they need a little adjustment.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I didn't watch any of the videos. I'm sure this is covered, but you need to use 2 hammers or rocks simultaneously, or take them out and support them on an anvil (rock) and hit them with a hammer or another rock. you'll bend the shaft if you hit it in the tower with one item and no back up.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I didn't watch any of the videos. I'm sure this is covered, but you need to use 2 hammers or rocks simultaneously, or take them out and support them on an anvil (rock) and hit them with a hammer or another rock. you'll bend the shaft if you hit it in the tower with one item and no back up.
No you won't. Put your oar in the oarlock, get a big f'n hammer and bend them over until it's where you want them to be. It takes 2 minutes. It's not rocket science, there's no "art" to it, its not a lost skill only known to river runners of yore.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by watermonkey
No you won't. Put your oar in the oarlock, get a big f'n hammer and bend them over until it's where you want them to be. It takes 2 minutes. It's not rocket science, there's no "art" to it, its not a lost skill only known to river runners of yore.
Eventually you will bend a shaft this way. Dave's advice is solid
Old 08-20-2012   #8

portland, Oregon
my cobras I just pulled them out, set one side on a flat rock, and then struck the other side with a 4lb smooth rock. I had to hit them pretty hard to get them to squeeze back into shape. I didn't do any adjustment of the horn shape don't think it needed it ...
Old 08-20-2012   #9

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
If you are, in fact, refering to the slop in the shaft of the brass where it rotates in the oar lock tower, you may have a different problem. The brass wears and thins over time, as does whatever it is pivoting on. This will cause "lock slop" (just made that up). It could be time for a new setup of locks and bearing material that works with your frame.

If it is the oars popping out........... See (most of) above comments
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote