How not to run Snaggletooth - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-02-2013   #1
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
How not to run Snaggletooth

So, I've been getting some very old (1976!) super 8 film converted. This is on the Dolores, the first boats you see (ONE life jacket?!?) is a private bunch that should have stayed home. The carnage starts about 2 minutes in, at Snaggletooth. Apologies for the quality; remember, this was before GoPro.........heck it was before video, and stored in a box in storage for 37 years!

YesVideo

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013   #2

SW, Colorado
Cool Footage -- From back in the day when the Mighty Dolores flowed free...

Sad to think that we may never again see the (lower) D truly cranking.
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #3
Old Guy in a PFD

Probably not.........but if it ever does, just do it........my personal favorite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013   #4

cedar city, Utah
Don't apologize mate, that is a gem of a video. Thanks for sharing.

That is one chunky hole that forms at, what I assume is, Snaggletooth. Such a different rapid than when I have seen it. Looks to be a challenging rapid at all the levels.

Definitely miss the Dolores. Haven't been able to catch the limited runoff in five years. It has my favorite camp on any river which I hope I have the chance to hammock in again someday.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #5

DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
The good old days, used to be one of Colorado's great rivers. Noting like running Snag at 5,500+ in a limp boat, wearing wool socks and cheap kmart ponchos for splash gear, trying like hell to move your boat, gear, and the thousand pounds of water you've taken in, all with your little wooden paddle. Then, you knew you'd be drying out camp gear that evening because the trash bags and tarp just couldn't keep everything dry. Great video! Brought back some memories for sure!
Old 08-02-2013   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
One of my favorite rivers as well. I've been lucky enough to have run it a dozen or so times. Last time in 2005? Anyway, caught it at the peak (5500-6000?). Way more peeps on that river than back in the '80s and '90s.

Thanks for sharing from your archives.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #7
Old Guy in a PFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy hopper View Post
The good old days, used to be one of Colorado's great rivers. Noting like running Snag at 5,500+ in a limp boat, wearing wool socks and cheap kmart ponchos for splash gear, trying like hell to move your boat, gear, and the thousand pounds of water you've taken in, all with your little wooden paddle. Then, you knew you'd be drying out camp gear that evening because the trash bags and tarp just couldn't keep everything dry. Great video! Brought back some memories for sure!
ROFL! That second boat through? The one with the bag o bags dragging in the water? Not even a wet sock! We knew how to pack them bags! But, I ripped the floor out of my boat and another one did the same, although I was the only one OVER the rock. Spent the next day stitchin and patchin! Fun times!
Old 08-02-2013   #8
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
That video would make the crazy Russians smile
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #9
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
That video would make the crazy Russians smile

I've ran Dolores a few times, first was bad in a bucket boat with wooden frames. Second time was much more smooth. That river is awesome, sadly my kids wouldn't get a chance to experience it like us old and semi old timers did.

Effing dams....
Old 08-02-2013   #10
A Political Theorist

Gonzorango, Colorado
Dolores Lives

"my kids wouldn't get a chance to experience it like us old and semi old timers did"

I have little hope for those of us who came to love that river after 1986, but I still hope our kids get to see the Dolores run free. Maybe sooner if hope is replaced by action.

'Bad' videos and stories about the magic of the Dolores qualify as action in my book, or at least a good start. Thanks for posting.

First time - 1995 in the front of a paddle boat. Snow and sleet as we scouted Snag with semi-hypothermia. Clean run. Hooked ever since.
Droboat is offline   Reply With Quote