How does one get out of the Room of Doom? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-01-2017   #1

Brigham city, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
How does one get out of the Room of Doom?

After my last Westwater trip, where I saw another group with a boat swirling around in the Room Of Doom. Ive thought to my self what I would do if I ended up in there. So lets hear from the Pros or the unfortunate. How to get out of the Room of Doom

KingElbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2000
Friend with a sport boat 😆
smithk2ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #3

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
There exists a video on u tube of an oar raft breaking out of it but I don't know the flow level.
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017   #4

Awesome, Colorado
Something like this:
climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingElbear View Post
After my last Westwater trip, where I saw another group with a boat swirling around in the Room Of Doom. Ive thought to my self what I would do if I ended up in there. So lets hear from the Pros or the unfortunate. How to get out of the Room of Doom
It's usually by flipping. Unless it's really low water, then paddle in and paddle out. Though not really that hard of a section, I still feel like W.W. deserves some respect, and often just gets overly sand bagged by the cocky.

Maybe It's just the story my SRT instructor used to tell every class, about the eight year old boy with the rope wrapped around his leg in the room, with the water level rising, other end of the parties rope was caught under water.
My instructor happened upon the scene, and tried to free the kid, to point of the rescuers exaustion. Then the water rose a little more. I'll spare everyone the rest of that crappy story

Have fun, but please be safe everyone!
Old 05-01-2017   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I've heard stories of people, usually swimmers or small boat users, having to hike themselves and all of their gear up and over towards the downstream side. I think that is only in extreme situations though.

At the high flows where it really doesn't want to let you go easily, I think its just a combination of getting lots of momentum and getting the timing right to push out out the top of the eddy. At the flows where it is a problem, it seems like kind of a crap shoot on whether you'll hit the rock of shock and flip or get washed out. That video is pretty indicative of a higher water experience of being in there though.

Its easy to say sitting on my couch at home, but I think the might have benefited from trying to catch the current around the outside of the room to push him further towards the top of the eddy at the mouth of the room. Higher in that eddy you are the better IMHO. Not always easy to get there though, and definitely be prepared to high side and as others have said to have your boat go upside down.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I had a friend that after his 6th or 7th failed attempt to row out of the recycling eddy, he tossed a bucket on a short line into the current that provided enough grab to help pull him out of it.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #8

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
A drag bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzzy
Old 05-01-2017   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
The top of the room collects debris/dead animals which adds to the challenge.

I hiked back and helped a friend get out once at about 10k--it took numerous try's with both of us rowing, each with one oar. We almost flipped on the r of shock. The trail above is well defined...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017   #10

We've pulled a big cataraft out by getting a rope to the opposite side of the river away from the room and pull it tight tying it around a boulder , and then pendulum swinging the raft out by rowing against the current. However that was extremely dangerous to do, because stringing a taught rope across the river is no bueno especially above skull. The BLM rangers will tell you to leave your craft and hike your butt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mrbaum is offline   Reply With Quote