Hot weather possible boat overinflation - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-14-2019   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2018
Hot weather possible boat overinflation

Just a quick question for those of you that run desert float trips in the summer. Do i have to worry about my boat breaking seals or possibly exploding in hot weather while on the water once fully inflated? Or do i have to check pressure on regular basis on the float?? I know sometimes the temps where i live are upper 90s to 100s in colorado and water temps can get in mid 70s. Thanks for the advise in advance. I am relativly new raft owner

fourwheeler081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
Donít inflate super hard before the sun hits the boat but there is no reason to have it so soft is dangerous to walk on. Keep the chambers equal pressure and donít drag it way up on the beach in the afternoon. If if gets tight enough your concerned just let a little out of all chambers.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #3

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
As long as you're on the water its fine. Once at camp if its still hot and sunny I like to bleed a little air out. This means topping off in the morning. Also depends on boat brand. We ran avons commercially and NEVER bled them.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019   #4

Craigamerica, -
Depends on the boat brand and color. Sotars and Maravias can take a lot more psi then a nrs or hyside so they can handle bigger spikes.
I have dark green NRS tubes that I run at 2.5 ,max is 3psi. On hot days my boat creeps up to 3 and I let some air out, then I usually have to top it off in the morning. Grey NRS cat tubes will hold 2.5 all day in the same situation.
Old 01-14-2019   #5

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhooligan View Post
Depends on the boat brand and color. Sotars and Maravias can take a lot more psi then a nrs or hyside so they can handle bigger spikes.
I have dark green NRS tubes that I run at 2.5 ,max is 3psi. On hot days my boat creeps up to 3 and I let some air out, then I usually have to top it off in the morning. Grey NRS cat tubes will hold 2.5 all day in the same situation.
great point made here, if unsure use a gauge!
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
For sure: if you've lost all your fingers & thumbs or even have had your arms amputated above the elbow, use a gauge. Otherwise if you own an inflatable and can't tell when it's approaching over-inflation, pay more attention.
Seriously? Folks will invest thousands of $ in a rig but can't tell when their boat is gaining pressure? Approaching over-inflation?
If your boat is in the water - not pulled up on shore, but floating (which is what boats want to do) - there's nothing to worry about. Period. If anyone on this forum has ever witnessed a boat exploding DUE TO OVER INFLATION WHILE FLOATING on the water, I'd really like to hear about it. I imagine the physics of gaining buoyancy are possible given today's great big tubes and really, really hot temps - like below Separation in June/July - but I've been there, done that (a bunch), and never seen or heard of it.
Elevation is another story. Pay attention to expansion as you go up with a boat on a trailer - but I don't know of any rivers where the put-in is lower than the takeout...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #7

Grand Lake, Colorado
I have an Aire Lion and also live in Colorado. As you mentioned temp changes can be significant. A pressure gauge is a very important piece of gear. I make sure my rig is at 1.5 psi in the morning, that way a couple of hrs later it's around 2. I then check in the early afternoon and let air out to keep it around 2.5. At the take out I bring it back to 1.5. I have never seen a boat explode on the river, but I have seen one explode on the trailer. Buy a gauge, protect your investment.
Riverratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #8

Colorado, Colorado
I've heard a second hand story from a friend that witnessed a boat explode at
Boundary creek MF Salmon put in years ago from being over inflated and sitting in the sun too long.
AzPackrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I only buy white boats these days. I have a white Aire and a white Hyside Mini-Max (and a new slightly larger replacement for the Aire on its way...also in white). The Aire has gray chaffers...and its amazing the temperature difference between the white surface and grey surface. I've literally never felt the white part get hot or even warm. Plus...I think its super sexy looking and you don't see many white boats on the river so it stands out.

Definitely pretty easy to just pay attention and let a tiny bit out when it gets hot. I have a typical Grey Avon Pro as well...and you can really tell when its starting to climb in pressure. I just pop each valve for a few seconds and call it good.

Kinda similar to trailering a boat and going up over high altitude passes and such. I've figured out how much elevation change makes bleeding the air necessary now...but was kinda paranoid for the first couple of trips.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have a white boat as well and I can definitely tell the difference. The material just doesn't get as hot. There is a bit of a glare off the white fabric though on bright sunny days. An outfitter I used to work for had some 160DDs in dark gray and those things got super hot, burn you ass if you sat on them!

I recall a story of a MFS outfitter going up over Banner coming back from a Main and rumor had it their Sweep Boat popped from the pressure.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote