Mountain Buzz banner

Hitch Mount Moto carrier?

6K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  jonseim 
#1 ·
Curious if anyone has a good option for carrying your Moto on a hitch mount tray that can also tow your raft trailer? The tongue on my trailer is too short to put a tray there which would be preferable.

#2 ·
Just an idea that I’ve been toying with, but haven’t done anything yet....

Most/all hitch carriers are too weak to support the trailer as well. So I’m suggesting you reverse order (again this is what I’ve considered, but haven’t done yet). Weld another receiver to the back of the trailer and put the hitch carrier in it.

I know it changes the weight dist of the trailer and could make your tongue too lite. But then again, if you need this than the trailer is presumably full and weight distribution isn’t an issue. The only real downside I see is you have ensure your trailer is strong enough and that the hitch carrier will be high enough that it won’t drag when you go over bumps or pull out of a dip etc.

Just an idea.

#4 ·
I welded about 5 feet onto my tongue and then bolted a motorcycle tray from harbor freight onto it. Took some rigging to get it right, cut two plates to bolt to the tongue to make it wide enough to bolt the tray down.
Let me know if you want any pictures, I'll be glad to send some over of what we did.

#13 ·
Shortened response: drop this idea and get a longer tandem axle trailer.

Longer response:
Check the weight rating of your current hitch (ie the truck, and not towing weight, but actual weight supported by the hitch). Most standard truck hitch’s are only rated to hold about 600 pounds (I think). If you use a system like this, remember that the motorcycle (dirt bike) will be 250 pounds. Anything bigger will be more. My smallish ATV trailer empty has a tongue weight of about 80 pounds (it’s a heavy small trailer). Fully loaded with two 600 pound plus atv’s it can easily produce a tongue weight of 300 pounds. I might be off base here, and you might know better (and a rafting set up may never be heavy enough to worry about anyway). I’m just suggesting that these weights add up and it’s worth doing the math. Also, I think tandem axle trailers do a much better job of carrying their load on their wheels and keeping tongue weight appropriate, which is one reason why you don’t see set ups like this and one of several reasons why longer/heavier trailers use two axles rather than just one really heavy duty one.

All that is to say, your real solution might be to get a longer trailer with tandem axles. Simpler. Readily available. Usable for a ton of stuff outside this specific application. And significantly increases your total weight capacity and gear stacking options (for this adventure or other endeavors).

#14 ·
I remember seeing a thread somewhere RE : the Front hitch idea. People were worrying about it blocking the airflow through the radiator at high speeds/ engine RPM's. Especially if they had a cover on it to keep it cleaner.

Not sure if that is the case, or not. Probably depends on how much fairings, etc. are on the motorcycle.

#15 ·
Everybody I talked to about a front tray said don't do it. Too much weight up front added to the engine, strains shocks, air flow is impacted significantly no matter the bike and visibility is often a concern. I put a front receiver on my 4runner and love having it to pull things, push trailers around tight spaces with better visibility, but won't put the bike up there.
I'll try and take some pics later this weekend of the extended tongue and motorcycle tray attachment

#18 ·
Thanks for the inspiration Buzzards! As a result of this thread I bought an older Craigslist moto and a HF carrier, which I bolted to a step hitch extension I had laying around (which I beefed up with a couple gussets). Was planning to use it on the front receiver but chickened out - just looked too whimpy. Just got back from a short Ruby/Horsethief trip and it worked great.

Attachments

#22 ·
I tried a bunch of configurations and landed on putting the bike on the trailer. I had a tray in the front and tried it on on the back of the trailer. The front wasn't too bad but it obstructed my view. The hitch on the back of my trailer caused a little too much sway. I ended up building it into the trailer. This was the best solution so far. My two cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.