Help with 1st raft purchase - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-12-2017   #1

asheville, North Carolina
Help with 1st raft purchase

Have an choice between 2002 aire d130 for $1400 that has had a zip repair professional repair and said inside looks good to go. 2007 tributary with brand new bottom that has been coated for $1300. 2017 rmr slightly used with warranty for $1600( 5 hr drive to pick up though). No leaks in any. Both aire and trib commercially used. This is my first raft and I know basically nothing other than what I have been reading online. Basically the aire is better but older, the trouble is wether the rmr is worth the drive over the trib. I have even called aire factory and they said it pretty much a toss up Btwn the d130 and the trib. I didnt ask them about the rmr for obvious reasons. Raft will mostly be used for family trips and would like to frame out for fishing. I live in Asheville North Carolina. Thank for the help.

brewhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a 2016 RMR that I'm perfectly happy with. Personally I wouldn't want a commercially used Trib. Depending on the condition of the Aire, it might be worth it. I'm assuming the zippers and inside look good. but does the outside look like used toilet paper?
Old 10-12-2017   #3

The aire Looks definitely used. My buddy got a trib off the same seller. Of course he's only used it once. Held air though. The new bottom is the draw to the trib. I would go with the rmr easy if it wasn't a 5 hour drive to pick up. Thnx for responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
Personally, I'd go with the new raft over an old, commercially used raft.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2000
+1 On new over commercially used... given those options.
smithk2ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Aires are great boats but +2 on new over commercially used, unless it's a screaming deal. If the prices are comparable and the other boats are 10+ years old, this should be an easy decision.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017   #7

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Is the 5 hour drive to Fayetteville WV? If so totally worth the drive, water is high right now 11 feet on the New, and Gauley releases you can get the boat out and play. If it’s not look on the swap page, give Bobby Bower a call he’s got demos for sale, great guy. Good part about boats from this area are smooth rocks and deep water, don’t take the beating like Colorado boats
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter70 View Post
Is the 5 hour drive to Fayetteville WV? If so totally worth the drive, water is high right now 11 feet on the New, and Gauley releases you can get the boat out and play. If itís not look on the swap page, give Bobby Bower a call heís got demos for sale, great guy. Good part about boats from this area are smooth rocks and deep water, donít take the beating like Colorado boats
Actually it is to that area. But unfortunately I don't have the time or skill for that matter to get on the new right now. Thanks to all for advise. Btw are rmr boats welded at the seems or glued. I have search but heard two diff things.
Old 10-12-2017   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
RMR boats have welded seams. That’s one of their main draws over some of the other bargain level boats. I have an RMR and I like everything about it but the weight. They are big tough boats. Since neither of those other options saves much weight, I would go with the RMR. You wouldn’t be getting any warranty out of the Aire, which is one of their main benefits. They are nice boats with better materials and probably better construction, but after 15 years of commercial use I’d say you are definitely getting less boat for the money than a new RMR. I wouldn’t really consider the Trib in this scenario. Part of that is personal, I prefer more kick than what they have. But again 10 years of commercial use on one of the “bargain” tier boats is no bueno.
The drive sucks and when you add in gas and everything you’re getting closer to $1800 on that, so several hundred more than the Aire. But you’d still be getting a new boat at close to 1/3 off list price, which is a pretty sweet deal. That’s the one I’d go with.
protechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017   #10

yes it would be closer to 17-1800 after gas. also found out that warranty does not transfer. on the other hand i can get a brand new rmr with 3 thwarts for 2150 shipped to my door. with a waranty. more than i wanted to pay but is this too good a deal to pass up? the used raft market i am finding out is crazy. these things tends to hold their dam value!! wish the mtn bike market did