Help picking a raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-02-2018   #1

Help picking a raft

I need some advice for picking a new raft. I am trying to decide between a 14’ Saturn vs an Odyssey...fairly comparable in price but I don’t know much about either brand. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks guys

slavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018   #2

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
spend just a little bit more money and get a rocky mountain raft.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018   #3

Thanks. I am new to this....looking at RMR SB140 and SBDS 140...not sure what the difference is because the SB says it has a drop stitch floor? At least that’s how it looks on their website. Let me know if I have that wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018   #4

Eagle, Colorado
I have the RMR 14 Drop Stitch and it is great. The drop stitch floor is a lot more stable, kinda like standing on a paddle board.
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018   #5

Ute City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
So the difference would be a drop stitch floor or an I-beam floor. I've always rowed an I-beam floored boat. I've heard people say that an I-beam floor tracks better, and that makes sense to me because of the shape of a I-beam floor. Drop stitch is smooth on both sides. Another thing to consider is the material the boat is made of. PVC or Hypalon. I would recommend hypalon. Cost is higher than PVC, but worth the extra $ in my opinion. Do a little research, you will most likely have your boat for a long time. Get what you think is best for you. Good luck finding your new boat.
quinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018   #6

Thanks! What about an NRS outlaw? That’s closer to my price range but I was wondering if it would be ok for a multi day trip on the middle fork? I would primarily be using it on smaller rivers for day trips but might take a few bigger trips over the years. Thoughts....
Old 05-02-2018   #7

Ute City, Colorado
NRS makes good quality boats. I have an NRS e-140 and it is a great boat. Don't know much about the outlaws. I do believe that they are made of PVC, and I believe they are built with the same dimensions as their Hypalon boats. 14 foot is a versatile sized boat that is good for day trips or multi day trips.
Old 05-02-2018   #8

I know that pvc is not ideal for bigger raft trips but want to make sure that it’s not going to totally fail on the occasional whitewater multi day trip? I am pretty interested in the NRS...just trying to do my homework.
Old 05-02-2018   #9

Denver, Colorado
Get an Aire Tributary 13'er or 14'er. much more resilient than a glued or budget welded pvc boat due to the inner bladder system.
pkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018   #10

Ute City, Colorado
Do a search here for the NRS outlaws. I seem to remember a thread about the outlaws. Also do one for Rocky Mountain rafts. There is a lot of great info in the threads on this page. Search any questions you have. Tons of first hand info.