HELP!! 72" or 66" Frame? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-11-2012   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
HELP!! 72" or 66" Frame?

I am getting the 14'x25.5 aire lion. I have done so much searching for info that I drempt of frames last night. Does anyone own these tubes and can help me decide between these two frames? I want the best of both worlds...to carry a reasonable amount of gear, but still be fast. It will be run on san juan, salt, delores, westwater, GC........ Any help friends?-B

boatingbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012   #2

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Bigger is always better IMO. I have the 66" nrs big horn frame on my 13' boat and I really wish it was a little bit longer. It will give you more room for adjusting to your fit.
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2009
I have 14'x25" tubes and a 66" NRS frame, which gives 34.5" between the tubes. Its hard to find stuff in this size - seems like 42" is standard for large coolers and most dry boxes. I tell myself that narrower is sportier but a 72" frame would be much easier to outfit for big trips.
catflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012   #4

Searching for water....., Idaho
Go 72" with the Lion's big tubes. Im not sure if you are ever going to get the sporty or fast feel from that big boat but the extra width with make you more stable and wont hurt your ability to turn. That should be a good do-it-all boat though.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #5

Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Why not go with something sexier and buy a custom welded frame instead of buying a sewer treatment plant handrail kit?
Click image for larger version

Name:	2150W-600x0.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	5147

We always make the handrail boats carry the groover!
Catboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingbuss
I am getting the 14'x25.5 aire lion. I have done so much searching for info that I drempt of frames last night. Does anyone own these tubes and can help me decide between these two frames? I want the best of both worlds...to carry a reasonable amount of gear, but still be fast. It will be run on san juan, salt, delores, westwater, GC........ Any help friends?-B
I used to own the 14' Nrs cat (similar shape and diam) with the 72" wide frame. At 10' long it was too easy to overload and then handed like a pig. The only time it was fast was when i was getting hammered in the technical areas and i wanted to take it slow

Save yourself some cash there are some 2004 Jag tubes in Salmon that are asking $1200 but you can probably get shipped for that price

They will carry about the same load and handle better. Or do what i did and find a leopard i can run a 12' frame and its not overloaded
Old 09-11-2012   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catboater1 View Post
Why not go with something sexier and buy a custom welded frame instead of buying a sewer treatment plant handrail kit?
Attachment 5147

We always make the handrail boats carry the groover!
You sound like a lot of fun to boat with!
catflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't know why I am toiling so much about this it is only 6 inches difference. That' like two stacked twelve packs.-B
boatingbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingbuss
I don't know why I am toiling so much about this it is only 6 inches difference. That' like two stacked twelve packs.-B
Its the diff between an 80 qt cooler and a 120 qt. or a 38/40 standard drybox and a custom 34". Go with the 72, tall towers, and at least 10' blades
Old 09-11-2012   #10

cedar city, Utah
I would go ahead with the 72" frame considering the rivers you mentioned. You gain no major advantage with a narrower frame in most of the desert's pool drop rapids. Narrower might give you a small advantage on more technical rivers in the PNW but even that is questionable.

On bigger expedition trips like the GC you gain a little more flexibility with a wider frame: captains boxes/rocket boxes in the rowers compartment, water jugs next to the cooler, etc.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote