Hells Canyon information. - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2014   #1
ICUNAKEDRN

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Hells Canyon information.

Hey I have a permit for May 23, 2014 for Hells Canyon. Can anyone recommend a rapids "review" book or other information for someone that has never ran this section? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks folks.

ICUNAKEDRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
visit the youtube and watch the granite/wild sheep rapid vids to pre-scout the lines. for my first trip,i knew where i needed to be from the vids and just did a 'read and run' for them both. your mileage may vary from youtube but worth a look.

the rest of the run is pretty straight forward and i found myself looking for any extra 'trouble' i could find to keep it interesting ww wise. doesn't mean you can fall asleep at the oars but straight forward stuff.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
How much does runoff affect these rapids or is it pretty much dam controlled? Is it at peak around the end of May or still ramping up?
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
pretty much dam controlled?
yep.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #5
ICUNAKEDRN

New Castle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
yep.
Ahh this would then lead me to believe that the flows are probably close to the USGS averages....typically.
Old 02-15-2014   #6

Boise, Idaho
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...ev3_029251.pdf

This might help. Third graph down.

Last year I used the book that they give you at the put in, but it is best described as 'thin'. There must be better options out there. Perhaps a River Maps? I have one for the MFS/Main Salmon and it seems serviceable.

I have only run it at around 15000. From memory, at that flow (and lower I think) for the 2 class 4's I advise what my brother-in-law (he guides Hells) calls the Oregon Sneak. Start river left and end river right. Waterspout can get tricky in lower water and there is a pour over (Rush Creek? Brush Creek?) on river left that might get you if not paying attention. I have little experience but did OK buy listening and watching others.

One last thing, you should definitely scout Wild Sheep and not just to look at the rapid. The scout is on river right and if you look up from the rapid the view up Wild Sheep (at least that what I think it is) canyon is pretty incredible. Others must have liked the view as well because if you turn around and look at the cliff behind you there are some cool pictographs. Very cool spot.

Oregon Hole is my favorite camp site. Watch out for poison ivy.

I've not been below Pittsburgh. Have fun!
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #7
ICUNAKEDRN

New Castle, Colorado
Thanks for the campsite plug...and all other information Blue.
Old 02-15-2014   #8

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Pulled a june 24th. How hot is the end of june? Hot or smoldering hot? I did the Grand last year at the end of June. Launch at Lee's ferry was 112. That was hot.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #9

Boise, Idaho
It could be hot, or not.

Chances of the hottest weather increase into July with late July/early August the hottest IMO.

I launched in the middle of June a couple years ago in full splash gear on an overcast and misty day. When we woke up the next morning there was snow on the peaks. I could also easily see it being 100 at launch in late June. Over 110 would seem unlikely to me. But with Idaho in June you never know what could happen.

Not sure if that helped or not.
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #10

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
If you fly fish take a pole, e-mail me off line if you want a little more fishing info.
Last year I did it in mid July, 5 days down to Pittsburgh it was hot but not intolerable. Beautiful river, fun rapids, scout and you will be fine.
bighorn1478@msn.com is online now   Reply With Quote