Hells Canyon high water! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hells Canyon high water!

Hey buzzards,
I've got a trip headed into Hells Canyon next week, June 13th. Currently they are releasing ~50,000cfs from the Dam so it'll be pretty big. Wondering if anyone has any high water things to avoid or if everything goes. Heard about the Green Room and seems like it will be in so stoked on that! Any camps better at high water? Extra cool things to see? Thanks for the info!

powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Big waves, fast water, eddy fences. Green room is under at those flows and is a big wave train. Watch flows-30s are called dirty 30s for a reason. Waves get really big in the low to mid 30s. Short days on the water. You could easily do it in a day in the 50s. Our last trip over 30, we rowed for a couple hours from the put in, found a camp, laid over, rowed a couple hours on day 3 to our cars at Pittsburg.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Treasure Valley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
30's and 40's

All the camps are the same at this level- as almost all of the camps do not change until you get into the 60's and above. Higher the water = less gear to pack up hill!!!

Green room becomes easy days to run down the middle! Water Spout becomes 'Water Spout' and the hole at the bottom is a real hole in the 30's. Wild Sheep is a must scout, as the middle-right line and the left work to center line are both options at those levels. Everything else is WAVES.
NativeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Boise, Idaho
I'm heading down Hells on the 11th! Idaho Power is predicting 46,800 cfs. I was hoping for lower but it should still be a fun trip! I think we are going to be looking at a layover day, we take out on the 14th at Pittsburg. Any suggestions on favorite camps for a layover?
Jason5686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Boise, Idaho
We had a great trip! I hit Granite a little too far right and tossed my buddy...but I am blaming him for lining me up wrong. Lol. Flows ended up at a perfect 25000 cfs. Here's a video of the trip.

https://youtu.be/riIhsrYOS9E
Jason5686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Eugene, Oregon
Great video. Thanks for sharing!!! That's a great river to float. When we did it a few years ago, the flows were around 15,000cfs. It definitely looks different at those flows.
bulltrout is offline   Reply With Quote