HAS ANYONE RAN A SOTAR STRIKE BACKWARDS? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2019   #1

HAS ANYONE RAN A SOTAR STRIKE BACKWARDS?

I have read that you can turn the frame around and run the stern forwards in the Strike for when you are in whitewater. Seems like that would be the perfect solution to what I am looking for. Has anyone actually tried it?

SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Maybe?? Don't see why one would want to run goofy. The Strike is a very capable boat without mongo-pushing. Its more about the man on the sticks than the sticks themselves. So if you think it gives you an edge.... *shruggs* ... well then hard to argue. But it sounds like you're in your head and thinking way too hard. Just get in the middle and keep the bow down stream and the boat will out perform you! If chundering occurs, it wont be because of the boat. Just saying......
Old 02-15-2019   #3

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
Have you called John yet?
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019   #4

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE Nate View Post
I have read that you can turn the frame around and run the stern forwards in the Strike for when you are in whitewater. Seems like that would be the perfect solution to what I am looking for. Has anyone actually tried it?
It's only a difference of an inch or so in tube diameter and a little less kick, it'll work fine. probably won't notice much of a difference.... I'd doubt you could tell blind. The only reason it's different is to offer more flotation in the stern to compensate for having a person sitting on it. From a distance you can't really even see the difference.
Old 02-15-2019   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE Nate View Post

I hear you do not get as wet if you enter backwards, but I like getting wet so I'm not sure if I would flip it around to stay drier. Either way I think you will have a great time. Just do what floats your boat and don't worry about what others think.
Old 02-15-2019   #6

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear you do not get as wet if you enter backwards, but I like getting wet so I'm not sure if I would flip it around to stay drier. Either way I think you will have a great time. Just do what floats your boat and don't worry about what others think.
Less wet. The front of a strike has almost no rocker and a a 16” tube. I believe the back is 18”. Early spring in the cold, it may be an advantage to run it backwards. Less wet is less wet when you’re cold.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #7

Seattle, Washington
Yeah. I did it all the time. My daughter hates getting splashed and the larger tube diameter made a definite difference
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Stop posting and call John already.. it’s going be wet ride either way..
walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote