Handrail frame vs welded frame? any thoughts? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 09-28-2012   #1

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Handrail frame vs welded frame? any thoughts?

so i am looking for a new frame. after talking to a dude from the north west he said "oh yeah all you guys run "handrail frames down there" anyone have a welded frame?
I know Gary from row frame welds part of the frame but i have never even seen a fully welded north west style frame.
any thoughts?

thanks

1offshore28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012   #2

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
frames

let me start by stating my bias, I build my own. IF you know what you want/need, welded will be lighter, as the knuckles are heavy. But welded doesn't allow much change. In our group of about 8 boats, 3 are handrail frames, one cambridge, and the others welded. It is amazing how light of material you can get by with a welded frame with a few supports, but again once welded, it is a pain to modify.
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #3

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
As it appears that you are new to the game, these are my thoughts.

Welded frames are great if you know exactly how you want the frame set up.

In your case, I would recommend a handrail frame, as you call it. You want something that is adjustable so that as you get more experience and wish to change something, you can. Maybe you want to change the location or height of the oar towers or the dimension of the foot bar to seat. You have a cooler that you intend to use and then get a bigger or smaller cooler. You find a great deal on a dry box and then find that the bay you wish to put it in is 1/2 inch too small.

Once you have a feel for how you want your frame, and that will take a few years, then maybe think about a custom welded frame set up to your measurements.

At times, I still make small adjustments to my frame as I upgrade something and need more or less space for whatever.
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Another vote for using "hand rail" style frames. When was the last time you brought a welder on your river trip? I can just picture the worst case scenario of a welded frame breaking on say day 8 of a 16 day Grand trip...
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss
Another vote for using "hand rail" style frames. When was the last time you brought a welder on your river trip? I can just picture the worst case scenario of a welded frame breaking on say day 8 of a 16 day Grand trip...
Wouldnt Day 3 be worse? If welded properly it should be much stronger than a handrail fitting

Plus isnt that why you would bring some jbweld or other hand moldable epoxy?
Old 09-28-2012   #6

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
true, day 3 is worse than day 8
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #7

Breckenridge, Colorado
its funny, I have been talking to my buddy that has been rafting longer than me but both of us have been on the water a lot over the last 8-9years. We both said we knew exactly what we want and then all the conversations started. there seems to be so many ways to skin this cat......
so here it goes.... I am thinking (from the front to the back) big cooler, dry box, feet bay with two captains boxes, seat on another dry box, then behind me a hammock and behind that another cooler. i want it as sleek as possible with all the weird stuff behind me to stack up and lean up against in the hammock. thoughts?
1offshore28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #8

Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1offshore28 View Post
so i am looking for a new frame. after talking to a dude from the north west he said "oh yeah all you guys run "handrail frames down there" anyone have a welded frame?
I know Gary from row frame welds part of the frame but i have never even seen a fully welded north west style frame.
any thoughts?

thanks
My frame is totally adjustable and it is also fully welded, adjustable foot bar, adjustable seat, adjustable oarstands, my dryboxes latch in and can be changed out, my cooler bay is even adjustable.

The handrail frame guys I boat with NEVER change their frame around matter of fact most of the fittings are corroded in place as are the screws which numerous have busted off while trying to tighten oar towers.
Oh and they creak and sqeek like hell with every oar stroke and we occasionally stop to fix the spun oar towers about three times a day

But to each his own , its not my cup of tea for sure. If you have a good frame builder you should be set with a welded rig as long as you know what you like. The key is finding a skilled frame builder who actually boats and knows why he is putting something somewhere.
Catboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #9

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1offshore28
its funny, I have been talking to my buddy that has been rafting longer than me but both of us have been on the water a lot over the last 8-9years. We both said we knew exactly what we want and then all the conversations started. there seems to be so many ways to skin this cat......
so here it goes.... I am thinking (from the front to the back) big cooler, dry box, feet bay with two captains boxes, seat on another dry box, then behind me a hammock and behind that another cooler. i want it as sleek as possible with all the weird stuff behind me to stack up and lean up against in the hammock. thoughts?
I think if you had a welded frame, you could weld some strong ass pipe mounts and drop pipe onto these at camp and have a sweet ass hammock stand. Imo if you are doing a hammock you need the supports about 10' apart and angled about 45 apart. I tried doing this with nrs fittings including using straps to help on the tension. Its a lot of force
Old 09-28-2012   #10

portland, Oregon
I forgot to say "epic fail". If you have a "bay" the hammock can hang into that would help. Like suspend the hammock from the oar towers