Gunny Gorge beta please - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2012   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Gunny Gorge beta please

Reaching out to get a little solid info on Blacks canyon of the gunnison in september. I am planning on doing a two day through the canyon with my old man and two brothers. Raft/flyfish trip with the mile hike in. any good information would be awesome as this is our first time in the canyon and my first time navigating through it. I obviously have a good map,. is there any knarly spots? fishing tips? bank camping spot recs? Thanks to anyone, I have found this site to be very useful to me in the past...actually it's where I found my first raft!
Greentabulous

Greentabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012   #2

Do a search for Gunnison Gorge on this site. Or Gunny / Gunni Gorge, etc.

Don't look up the Black Canyon... different run.
Old 07-23-2012   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yeah, and why does everybody insist on adding an 's' to the name of every canyon? Stop that. At least you didn't call it Blacks Creek.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012   #4

Avon, Colorado
I think a first D of the Black in a raft would be worth a shot...I'd run safety.
Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentabulous View Post
Reaching out to get a little solid info on Blacks canyon of the gunnison in september. I am planning on doing a two day through the canyon with my old man and two brothers. Raft/flyfish trip with the mile hike in. any good information would be awesome as this is our first time in the canyon and my first time navigating through it. I obviously have a good map,. is there any knarly spots? fishing tips? bank camping spot recs? Thanks to anyone, I have found this site to be very useful to me in the past...actually it's where I found my first raft!
Greentabulous
First info I would provide is that you are going to have a bitch of a time packing in your raft and gear if you don't rent the burros to carry it down.

What have you floated before? What difficulty level are you comfortable with? The Gunny Gorge is III+ with a couple of drops that may border on IV- depending on water levels and your experience. The biggest rapids of the run are all in the last mile of the Gorge before the river flattens out. They come in succession and are called S Turn, The Squeeze, The Drops, Cable, Jumping Jack Splash, The Gate Keeper and Grand Finale.

The best campsites IMO are in the open middle stretch of the run, although there are lots of options.

Here is a link to the BLM map which shows all the rapids and campsites as well as more detailed information:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...resolution.pdf

(Oh, I editied your title to reflect the topic you actually wanted information on.)
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Thank you very much for the reply and good info. Yes, I have good experience naving class 3 and 4 rapids. Most of my experience is on the Arkansas, colorado, poudre..Im only taking my oar frame for the rafts and am planning on utilizing the mules. I appreciate the info. I have no experience on the gunnison gorge/ spelling/ adding s's/ local location references etc... and thus my posting for more info. Your info helps out thanks and I'll check out the link.
Greentabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #7

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Fishing should be good. Hoppers will probably still be around and bwo nymphs start to move around in September. Streamers from the boat can be really good. Flows have been bumping up and down for several weeks. Can get skinny around 400. Consider adding another day and float pleasure park to orchard. Pleasure is the gorge takeout and mellow class ii down to orchard and good fishing.
gunniflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012   #8

Montrose, Colorado
As you get closer to your trip shout out to me. Chucker trail is 10min from my house and its a long way doun but maybe we couls share some costs.
riverpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012   #9

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Depending on the dates I would love to run that again and help share costs to being 2/3 rafts down.have only been down once as a crew the hike sucks with a 14'er even with 6 crew members. Got to the put in at noon / one luckily hit the last rapid before dark interesting paddle out( I was the non commercial guide).but an awesome secluded canyon.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #10

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I have been a commercial fishing guide in the Gunnison Gorge for over twenty years, this year I have started a new business for raft and equipment rental, with full logistical support and specializing in the Gunnison Gorge. Check out the web site at gunnisonriverpro.com or give me a call at 970-318-2509.
Gunnison River Pro is offline   Reply With Quote