Guide work on New River West Virginia? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2017   #1

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Guide work on New River West Virginia?

I recently decided to try my luck with outfitters that run the new/gauley seasons and wound up getting hired at adventures on the gorge (class VI). Any helpful hints out there as to what to bring, expect, unwritten rules, folklore, etc. anything helps never been out east before, grew up in CO, only have run the Arkansas commercially thanks!

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

JakeSchipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017   #2

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
learn how to say "y'all" like a true appalachee.

Bring rain jacket. It rains more frequently in the east than it does in CO. There will be many nights in the dampness next to a bonfire and half full 30 rack of PBR. The smoky fire helps keep the bugs away.

The New is a lot of fun at all levels. Nice play river.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Extra gear, things take forever to dry. Work hard, show respect, and make Colorado look good. Read about the area. I recommend "Come on in the Water's Wild" and the History of Fayette County. Get insect repellant and learn the poisonous plants and snakes. Get property insurance and a low deductible. Extension cords and tarps are gold. Don't eat at "OK Chinese". Get a mini-fridge and save a fortune on ice. Weed costs a fortune there, beer selection is weak, fried foods are amazing.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017   #4

Biscuit World!

And make sure you hit all the other classics on the east coast while there.
idaho_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017   #5

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
All companies drug test. It's a mouth swab so not super accurate, just take a little break. AOTG is a great company lots of money, super nice facilities good clientele. Tip talks are frowned upon more than Colorado, get on the Gauley summer trips. Gauley is always running and in the summer is the best time, ace and aotg are the only people over there in the summer so pretty sweet.the earlier you get there the better, spring water is usually big, you won't get really busy until June, and you can work every day in august cause people just give trips away. Tons of old schoolers, with 20 years in that area and you will be known as a cool aid. It is so much more fun to crash and burn in warm deep water then Colorado so run the big stuff.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #6

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
I had no idea company's drug tested these days, lol

back in the 80's a pre-employment interview for me was often a scary ride down to Fayette Station passing a joint while the company owner looked you in the eye rather than looked at the road.
Anyone else get the Fast Eddie interview?
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #7

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Figured I would give him a heads up, put it this way, they definitely let you know when your test will be so there's plenty of time to study. Mouth swabs accurate to about three days, it's not a witch hunt, it's insurance.
Your right though so different from back in the day.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #8

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Haha thanks guys I will definitely be studying up for that test!

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
JakeSchipper is offline   Reply With Quote