Guide in Training HELP - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-07-2016   #1

Roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
Guide in Training HELP

I was wondering if some of you guys could point me in the direction of videos that I would benefit in watching. I can read water pretty good. Just need to work on my steering the raft. Any tips or info would be awesome. Wanna be the best I can be.

Poedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I looked for that myself a few years ago and never found anything. Best advice get with some pros in a club

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #3

Roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Best advice get with some pros in a club
They are going to give me tons of on river time and the season doesn't start till may. Im just trying to do what I can to better myself on my own time. Ty for your reply.
Poedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016   #4

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Watch every Grand Canyon YouTube video you can find, do what they don't do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Hi Poedunk!

I completed my first season as a river guide last summer and it was awesome! The best training I think was just running the section of river we guided on over and over and over again. After some practice runs with the head guide for the school we had to log-in a total of 20 guided runs down that stretch of river before we were allowed to test out. If you can read water you've got a large part of it down already. One thing you could do is learn about your solo paddle (canoe) strokes that you would use as the guide in the back of the raft: we called these the J-stroke, sweep, pry, and draw, and these were the four we needed to know. There are a number of YouTube videos on those, for example:

For the strokes I practiced using a canoe paddle in an IK, and then started using relying on them R1 in a small raft. When boating with a group of guides you can practice your strokes in calmer water until you get the hang of them. You do need to mind the weight of your boat and the current when trying to solo-pilot a raft full of folks, but you begin to get the hang of it! I remember my very first time trying to move a boat in current using solo strokes and wow was it frustrating...but it grows on you, it will come!

What river are you thinking of guiding on? I was guiding the Rio Grande (northern New Mexico).
stewart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Pick up a copy of Jeff Bennett's The Complete Whitewater Rafter - it'll be well worth $6 plus shipping. The book's a bit dated but there's a ton of great info there. If nothing else, remember that you need to set up much earlier than in a kayak. Line up for rapids by putting the boat in the current where so the river will carry you down the right line, then just use strokes to keep the boat straight and build / maintain your momentum. And avoid boat eating Class V holes.

Speaking of momentum, work on doing just enough ferry strokes to move across to that spot in the current where you want the boat, and not overshooting it. When you overshoot your line, you waste strokes twice - the first wasted strokes take you past your line, the second wasted strokes are made reversing course and getting back to your line.

Have a great season!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #7
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Watch every Grand Canyon YouTube video you can find, do what they don't do.
yeah, that'll work...

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #8

Rosa, At the bottom of the Lake
Paddling Since: 1996
The fact my freshman season only has one clip in that video is pretty impressive.Low water Claires rock can eat a...
GilaRobusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #9

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Guiding Whitewater Rafts - Proper Technique for a Draw Stroke - crabapple
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016   #10

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Especially the grand videos from 83' or so.

I'd take that deal n crawfish, then drill that ole devil in the ass.
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote