ground shuttles for Deso Grey - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-22-2016   #1

Hesperus, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
ground shuttles for Deso Grey

I am coming up empty locating a ground shuttle for a Deso Grey trip. There used to be several options. Suggestions?

Tex Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016   #2

cedar city, Utah
Only licensed company is River Runners Transport out of Vernal, Utah. Great people.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
River Runners says they are not doing Deso shuttles anymore. We haven't found anyone that will shuttle vehicles. We've used a couple of different Green River locals in the past, but they too are not doing shuttles anymore. (Redtail Aviation will fly drivers back to Sand Island.)

Tex Ryder, when is your trip? We launch the 29th.
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016   #4

cedar city, Utah
Huh? Did you talk to them recently? I just talked with them Friday and they were still running them then.

That will be a major blow to the community since the last I saw they were the only ones licensed to do so. I am hoping its just a misunderstanding.

Phillip
Old 06-22-2016   #5

Awesome, Colorado
We just had River Runners run our Deso shuttle last weekend; no mention of them stopping... hope that's not the case!
climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #6

cedar city, Utah
Yeah, the guy we talked to at the office was chatting us up about Deso and how many shuttles a day the run. I get the sense its one of the bigger, more reliable runs for shuttles.

I wonder if the people are confusing River Runners out of Meadview with River Runners Transport out of Vernal. RRT still mentions it on their website and price list for 2016. Fingers crossed that is the confusion as the logistics would be a lot worse without them.

Phillip
Old 06-22-2016   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I just booked a deso shuttle thru river runners transport a few days ago for a July launch. They are still running shuttles.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
River Runners says they are not doing Deso shuttles anymore. We haven't found anyone that will shuttle vehicles. We've used a couple of different Green River locals in the past, but they too are not doing shuttles anymore. (Redtail Aviation will fly drivers back to Sand Island.)

Tex Ryder, when is your trip? We launch the 29th.
I think you are getting your rivers mixed up. Sand Island is the put-in for the San Juan River. Sand Wash is the put-in for Deso. RRT does not do San Juan (Sand Island) shuttles & most of the other companies that used to do San Juan shuttles don't do them anymore. RRT definitely does Deso shuttles & they are great to work with.
Old 06-23-2016   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
For the San Juan - any section - Jim Hardin (435) 672-2455. Have used him for last 3 years, great service and bone reliable.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Okay, back to Deso shuttles. My buddy that was arranging the shuttle for our trip was indeed lead astray. I spoke with River Runners Transportation in Vernal this morning and they are definitely still doing Deso shuttles. They are the only BLM permitted service for shuttling vehicles (Red Tail is permitted for air service), and run multiple shuttles every day. And as mentioned frequently on MountainBuzz, they come highly recommended.