Groover stowage on a boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-23-2012   #1

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Time to get Down and Dirty, buzzards!!

Where/how do you transport "the goods" so it stays upright, etc?

Anyone run an ecosafe without the 20mm ammo can to save on weight?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012   #2

Denver, Colorado
I've found that bringing ladies on their first trip and no Mexican food works best. Then it is just your own crap you have to clean out at the end of trip. Once they break the seal though all bets are off and you'll be happy to have that 20mm between the ecosafe and your boat.
JC5921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I use the bucket/gamma lid set-up. I've attached heavy duty handles to the sides of the bucket for tie down in the boat. The side handles also make it easy to carry the groover to it's "groove location" while maintaining it in an upright position so as to avoid sloshing the contents around.
I suppose you could use a rocket box sling to secure an Ecosafe tank on the boat without having to keep it in a rocket box. However, you'd have no handles to carry it on shore??? I wonder if there's a lighter weight box out there that the Ecosafe will fit into other than those beastly heavy, sharp cornered rocket boxes? If you could find such a container for a good price, then you'd be set.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I like the Groover to ride in the front bay, last to load, and accesible if needed throughout the day. For a recent San Juan trip, I built a folding table to fit the bottom of the bay and stacked a Mojave kitchen box on the right side. I put the rocket boxes width-wise on the left. I glued foam to the bottom of the boxes to "soften" them on the table. The dimensions of the rocket boxes are similar to the Mojave box. With this stack in the front bay, I matched the height of the cooler in the second bay. Two sleeping pads cover the pile and make a nice sized deck/bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0738.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	4857  
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #5

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Actually, the eco-safe travels quite nicely in a raft or cat without the 20 mil can. While I do use the heavy can for the "active tank" because of ease of carry and added stability while in use, the spares travel unprotected. The empties filled with water and the full "bombs" also work quite well as ballast when needed. Empty or full, they fit into a dropbag or a milk crate for secure transit. I do take the added precautions of bleach-cleaning the tank ext. and gorilla taping the lids on the full ones.

While canoeing, I ditch the heavy can and just take the tank and seat. A cam strap secures the load and makes the tank easy to carry to and from the view.

I tried the 20mil can, wag bag and the gamma shitter systems, the eco-safe splits the difference between the cheaper set-ups and the pro systems.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
River Rat Ray at Tuff River Stuff in Salida CO will make you a bomber padded bag for rocket boxes. Solves the sharp edge issue in rafts.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #7

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
i have found the best way to transport a groover is on a buddies boat
Old 06-24-2012   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl
I wonder if there's a lighter weight box out there that the Ecosafe will fit into other than those beastly heavy, sharp cornered rocket boxes? If you could find such a container for a good price, then you'd be set.
i was looking for such a beast all friday night. They make smaller plastic ammo cans that are much lighter weight but they dont make the larger box sizes

The pelican 1550 is close but the way the box hinges you would need to put the groover on its side to load it

I can make a sling with handles out of webbing and our sewing machine, not sure how scat friendly this is but could always leave the bulky ammo can with the take out vehicle.

I think with some spray sanitizer i'd be safe withe the eco safe in somewhat close proximity to other items but it does have an air vent
Old 06-25-2012   #9
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I have two ammo cans designated for the groover. One holds the tank, the other holds the lid, hand washing station and groover supplies. Both ammo cans ride in the front bay and sit on a plastic 1/2" thick self draining floor. I have a couple more ammo cans and a couple of 6g water jugs in the front for weight. A kitchen table covers the front bay.

Alex
Old 06-25-2012   #10

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Oh, the horrors!
Back to Avatards o/p - I carry the eco safe in rocket boxes on their sides, strapped to the side rails. This said, I never had a problem with leakage - UNTIL my last trip, when grover dude didn't screw the eco safe cap on correctly. Glad I had the added protection of the US military! Lesson learned - check your shit seal.
I also wanted to ditch the rocket box for weight, but am sure glad I had them this time. Yuck what a f'n mess.......