Grand Oct. Dry suit for my lady? - Mountain Buzz

Unread 2 Days Ago   #1

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Grand Oct. Dry suit for my lady?

So next year myself and my lady have are joining in a Grand trip during mid October. I'll bring my dry suit, but she is unsure if a new dry suit is a necessity.

So first question for the buzzards. For a mid October trip how much have you worn, or wish you worn a dry suit?

2nd: For the ladies, what features have made the difference in a dry suit for you? Specifically I have been trying to compare different relief zipper designs. I want something that is comfortable that isn't an ordeal every time ya gotta visit river.

Thanks.

JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 2 Days Ago   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
One of my friends took hers last Oct. and really was happy to have it. She is not a cold weather boater, and it was a total game changer.
Not that Oct. is that cold, but something to be said for being warm comfortable, and happy!
Unread 2 Days Ago   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJam View Post
So next year myself and my lady have are joining in a Grand trip during mid October. I'll bring my dry suit, but she is unsure if a new dry suit is a necessity.

So first question for the buzzards. For a mid October trip how much have you worn, or wish you worn a dry suit?

2nd: For the ladies, what features have made the difference in a dry suit for you? Specifically I have been trying to compare different relief zipper designs. I want something that is comfortable that isn't an ordeal every time ya gotta visit river.

Thanks.
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Especially should she have an "Out of boat experience".. Kokatat is what I bought my wife, with the full zip down rear seat, she loves it. Make sure to get some high top water boots for her as well, you won't regret it.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 2 Days Ago   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
The water is damn cold. Its nice not to have to try and miss everything because she is cold. Its always easy to cool off. Consensus from the ladies was the dropseat was quicker to pee out of than the new 2 piece.
Unread 10 Hours Ago   #5

Wilson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
We did a 24 day trip with an Oct 21 put on last year We had perfect weather with no rain or wind! But the water is cold coming out of the bottom of the dam and there are long stretches most every day of no sun in the canyon. Our ladies wore drysuits every day all day. They even gave them names. The rest of us wore drysuits for the big rapid days at least. You may experience the high flow experiment, usually around Nov 5 start as we did. A drysuit is insurance for running Lava at 35,000- 40,000 cfs.
Don't leave home without one!
malmsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Hours Ago   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJam View Post

Thanks.
General consensus seems dry suit. I did an October 6th launch when I went and rarely wore more than a swimsuit. It was hot enough I couldn't even contemplate putting on gear. I also swam regularly in the river at camp so I'm not afraid of the cold.

When I was trying to get my wife into more of the spring trips all it took was one time of trying to get the gasket over her head and she said F this thing. Not going to happen I would rather be cold.

So has she used dry tops? I would at least show her what needs to happen to get in one. I wish I had a one piece but right now I have dry bibs and a semi dry top, meaning the soft neoprene gasket at the neck but still gaskets on the sleeve.

I love because when I am hot I can peel the top but then slap it back on when we hit the rapids. That might work for you as well. Only she can guide you, but the two piece isn't a bad solution either.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Hours Ago   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
If this won't be a lifetime purchase, consider renting a drysuit.
If she'll get frequent use in the coming years, I also love my Kokatat.

I've heard the drop seats are a pain for lady kayakers, but they seem to be a popular feature for lady rafters.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Hours Ago   #8
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
https://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/rental-dry-suits

rent one. You just don't know what kind of weather you will run into. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Jealous.
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Hours Ago   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
https://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/rental-dry-suits
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Hours Ago   #10

Livingston, Montana
The Kokatat drop seat with the neoprene neck (semi dry suit) has been a huge hit with my wife and other friends.
mikebob is offline   Reply With Quote