Grand canyon lottery - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-27-2018   #1

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Grand canyon lottery

I am new to rafting I do have some experience and I canoe. I recently put an application in to the Grand Canyon Lottery and I want the launch date of April 19th 2019. I need to put down $400 also deposit tomorrow and after that it's only $100 per person. The problem is is that I need to have somebody certified and that has experience with that type of white water. I would hate to put down my deposit and not find anybody that I trust to lead. Does anybody think it's attainable for me to go ahead and do this and find somebody to lead. I am new to this group I've been looking for a local group and haven't been able to find one in the Philadelphia area. I did contact a Canoe Club locally but it doesn't seem like they have much experience on the West Coast. Please help! I would hate to lose this opportunity

Bbranco0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2018   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbranco0605 View Post
Does anybody think it's attainable for me to go ahead and do this and find somebody to lead[?]
Yes, you are the permit holder (PH) and if you don't mind going with strangers you should have no problem filling the trip with people qualified to go. Start early interviewing potential trip leaders (TLs), make sure you've got a shared vision on the attitude for the trip (booze?, early mornings?, lots of hikes?, layover days?, trip length?, etc.). Maybe ask them first what they're looking for / expecting...

You should also be able to come out West this summer and do some multi-day trips with candidates to make sure you get along.

Here's an article about trip planning, you can also find lots using the search function above.

Congratulations!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018   #3

I'm trying to figure out the layout of this forum so I don't know if I'm replying to the right one. But do you know of a place where I can contact these people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2018   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
You have an April Grand canyon permit so you should have no trouble finding someone reliable with experience to fill that duty. Get the permit and they will come. If you need to put a name down now I will gladly offer my "services" as "experienced boatman". I'm sure many people on this forum would be willing to do the same. You have an April Grand permit and lots of people want to be your friend.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018   #5

Do you have a rough guess on cost as far as equipment and food go? And yes I need friends desperately haha! I didn't see that I had to write anywhere a leader yet I don't think I need to find one until January but I'm just really worried I'm going to put in this 400 and then either not have enough money for the rest or not find a group of people that I trust
Old 02-27-2018   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
Cost can can vary wildly. When we've gone, we try to keep it in the 1000 range, but it usually is a little bit more per person (this estimate does not include travel costs or alcohol which is not considered a shared cost).

Some groups can get it down to as little as $600 per person, but usually that will be a fully self supported trip. Some groups can go as high as $2000+ per person.
luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018   #7

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
luckylauren is correct :

For groups in the area / west, with their own rafts and trailers and experience putting to together trip, $600 splitting permit, shuttle costs, and food is doing very well.

Then again, if your whole group is traveling from afar, and you are renting boats, and getting a food pack done for you by one of the excellent businesses in Flagstaff and other cities surrounding the area, you can get into the $2k+ range.

Furthermore, where you take out can influence that also.

These permits are very difficult to get. I suggest paying for a full trip of people, and then working hard over the next 8 months to put it together. There are many boatwomen and men, (shamless self plug here) on this site that can help you.

And as Andy said, as you find a Trip Leaders you like, you then find their network. And as those networks evolve, things get better.
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Another good reference for grand trip planning:
https://rrfw.org/RaftingGrandCanyon/Main_Page
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
pm sent.

You'll find PM's on the top right of the screen under your notifications
Old 02-27-2018   #10

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Start early interviewing potential trip leaders (TLs), make sure you've got a shared vision on the attitude for the trip (booze?, early mornings?, lots of hikes?, layover days?, trip length?, etc.). Maybe ask them first what they're looking for / expecting...

-AH
This part is really important. I've seen fights occur, usually after Lava, because of bad trip dynamics. I've also known folks to join trips like this and everyone become fast and lifelong friends. You only need to put the deposit down now. You have a good six months to vet potential candidates. This forum is a good start. There is also a couple of different FB groups that are Grand Canyon rafting centric. Good luck and Congratulations!
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote