Hi MountainMan, I asked Katrina Grantz about this the last day of August. She works for the USBOR and here is what she said:
"As of yet, no decision has been made. We typically don't make a final decision on whether to have an HFE, as well as the size, shape and timing until October, after the bulk of sediment has come in and been analyzed.
As of last week, we didn't have enough sediment to recommend a High Flow Experiment. However, since the last time the model was run, we have had two significant storms on the Paria, so we will be re-running our models this week.
If we do an experiment it would likely occur in the first half of November."
You are a luck guy to be launching or on the river when this happens. The HFE gets high enough to just make it into the annual high flow pre-dam range, though the HFE flow is at the very BOTTOM of that range.
I asked Katrina to let me know what the next model run says, so we’ll post that here when I hear anything.
River Runners For Wilderness
PO Box 30821
Flagstaff, AZ 86003-0821