Mountain Buzz banner

Grand Canyon Hance Rapid Clip

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  jspoon14 
#1 ·
This is a clip from my Grand video I am working on. We ran it in Sep, the weather was hot and that water was kind of on the low side. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Fk1mtFGbZVQ

#7 ·
Great Perspective, can't wait to see the whole video. What system did you use to attach your cameras (GoPros I assume) to the stern of the rafts? I'm launching on my third trip in February and want to put together a better setup than just having helmet mounted footage. Thanks

#11 ·
Yes they were GoPro's, honestly all I used was paddle to mount my camera on this trip. I was in the Blue boat and the paddle worked really well and was at the perfect height.

I do have a mount that I built that I normal use but forgot it on that trip so had to improvise. I use what is called a closet flange, which is what you use to mount a toilet to the floor. You can get them at any home center for cheap. From there I use a series of reducers to get me down to 1.5" from 3" to get is above the boat height is up to you. Then I put a cap on the end of the pipe and stick a GoPro adhesive mount.

I posted a pic of it on another thread I will try and find that add post it.

Helmet mounted footage sucks, I've done two trips down there and you'd think we were floating on a flat Lake!
It is not the helmet mount that make it look flat, that is the camera it's self. It never looks as big on the screen as in real life but that is why we go, wright? I do agree that helmet footage is not great and does not make for a good video if that is the primary angle. I always have a couple cameras to get multiple angles.

#9 ·
I wouldn't say it sucks, it catches the action in the front of the boat, but for certain the stern rig is the way to go to get it all. That's why I'm looking for pointers. I ordered a strap mount, plenty of straps to rig a cam on the gear stack. Would like to see a good setup with an exstension/riser etc.

#16 ·
Saw a pretty cool PIP video edit with one GoPro on the head of the passenger facing backwards. Good perspective of the oarsman. the large view was the stern mount.

I get a headache thinking about trying to edit this

Oh... PIP = Picture In Picture
[/QUOTE]

#18 ·
This is a clip from my Grand video I am working on. We ran it in Sep, the weather was hot and that water was kind of on the low side. Enjoy!
Great job with your edit between raft and kayak! And great runs.

The rear-mounted, high camera is a great perspective. I'm also not a fan of helmet-mounted shots. I think they can work well as complements to the stern-mounted camera. But not as the principal shot.

One thing I learned, though, is to put the camera to one slide, slightly offset. You can see the bow a bit better. (In my video showcase, see the video on Slab Creek.) I paddle-guide on the left, so I've added a d-ring and bent a cheap paddle with a mount that puts it up and right at the back "corner" of the boat.

I learned not to use "Superwide" after doing a video on the North Fork American. It's too fisheye-looking. "Wide" (as I think you used) or "Linear" is best.

I wonder what your settings are? I'm using 2.7k, 60 FPS so that I can use slow motion in post.

I've also created a mount using PVC that works through the front d-ring and the handle using one strap. I've broken the thing about five times - and lost a GoPro 5 when it was decapitated by another dude's oar who'd gotten himself stuck on a rock in front of me. But I've learned to tether the thing using a cable, and it's improved over time. I'll try and find a picture of the mount, which is cheap and easy to make, but has taken some iterative engineering to get right.

But the slightly elevated, rearward-facing view is really fun for the paddlers.

Another note: The GoPro 7 (and now 8) has this amazing image stabilization that makes it look like the camera's on a gimbal. It's crazy cool. You'd think it would make shots more boring; it doesn't.

Also, the GoPro remote is a little flaky, but once you get the hang of it, indispensable in turning multiple cameras on and off.

Here's a library of my footage from the last couple of years. In the "Flip on the North Stan" video, I broke both lens covers on two GoPro 7's. (And my daughter's nose.) Fortunately, the lens covers are easily replaceable at $20. (The GoPro 8 does not have this feature; replaceable lens covers, which is disappointing.) (My daughter, a gutsy girl, has forgiven me, and still loves the game.)

https://vimeo.com/showcase/5883341

Attachments

#19 ·
Great job with your edit between raft and kayak! And great runs.

The rear-mounted, high camera is a great perspective. I'm also not a fan of helmet-mounted shots. I think they can work well as complements to the stern-mounted camera. But not as the principal shot.

(Agreed! they are way over used and are a great way to show some action and added details)

One thing I learned, though, is to put the camera to one slide, slightly offset. You can see the bow a bit better. (In my video showcase, see the video on Slab Creek.) I paddle-guide on the left, so I've added a d-ring and bent a cheap paddle with a mount that puts it up and right at the back "corner" of the boat.

(That is an interesting idea i have not thought about, I like the angle you capture with it. I will have to give that a try.)

I learned not to use "Superwide" after doing a video on the North Fork American. It's too fisheye-looking. "Wide" (as I think you used) or "Linear" is best.

(I have played with this as well but have found I like the superwide view for the stern mount, on my last Grand trip I inadvertently switch cameras with out realizing it and the stern camera was set up of a narrow FOV and it did not capture the scale and view that I wanted. You do trade some depth of field but I like to see the scale of the river and canyon. Another note, that with GoPro camera there is not real zoom so they just crop the image for a narrow FOV so if you shoot in wide you can always crop it down later and get the same effect)

I wonder what your settings are? I'm using 2.7k, 60 FPS so that I can use slow motion in post.

( I normally shot in 1080p and 60 to 120 fps depending on the camera. I don't really change this much, I would like to play a bit more with slower frame rates around 24fps and work on the cinematographic look.)

I've also created a mount using PVC that works through the front d-ring and the handle using one strap. I've broken the thing about five times - and lost a GoPro 5 when it was decapitated by another dude's oar who'd gotten himself stuck on a rock in front of me. But I've learned to tether the thing using a cable, and it's improved over time. I'll try and find a picture of the mount, which is cheap and easy to make, but has taken some iterative engineering to get right.

(My front mount is also PVC but not as high as yours. I like the point of view you get but that seams like i would be prone to damage as it sound like has happens. My mount in tight to the tube so only stick up a bit more that the height of the camera and have not had any issues. Some time I will also just use one of the GoPro adhesive mounts and stick it to the boat. This only woks on rubber boats. I tried it on my SOTAR and it did not stick well enough.)

But the slightly elevated, rearward-facing view is really fun for the paddlers.

Another note: The GoPro 7 (and now 8) has this amazing image stabilization that makes it look like the camera's on a gimbal. It's crazy cool. You'd think it would make shots more boring; it doesn't.

Also, the GoPro remote is a little flaky, but once you get the hang of it, indispensable in turning multiple cameras on and off.

(I got a new 7 for this trip and do like it be have not figure all the bells and whistles out yet. I use the remote with my old ones and when it works it is awesome, can you still use the old remote with the new 7/)

Here's a library of my footage from the last couple of years. In the "Flip on the North Stan" video, I broke both lens covers on two GoPro 7's. (And my daughter's nose.) Fortunately, the lens covers are easily replaceable at $20. (The GoPro 8 does not have this feature; replaceable lens covers, which is disappointing.) (My daughter, a gutsy girl, has forgiven me, and still loves the game.)

https://vimeo.com/showcase/5883341

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.