Grand Canyon food storage - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-28-2019   #1

Steamboat, Colorado
Grand Canyon food storage

Leave in a week for the grand and looking for some advice on food storage. I have day 5 for meals and plenty of cooler space but would like to maximize quantity of ice for other future needs. What are best options for different items? I am freezing water into the bottom of my cooler right now, also freezing as much food as possible. I'll have an insulating layer on top of frozen goods and place refrigerator items on top. I have ammo cans, drybox and drop bag to work with. Produce wise what would you place where?

Onions
Avocado
Lettuce
tomato
pineapple
melon
bananas
orange
Carrots
apples
cucumbers

Thanks!

efis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
The Grand is cold.

You could store most, if not all of those items at room temperature at home.

Onions, pineapple, melon, bananas, oranges, carrots, apples all have a far longer shelf life than 5 days.
The lettuce, tomato, and cucumbers need to be cool and moist.

They would all be fine in an ammo can. Maybe cushion with towels and keep the softest items on top (melon, pineapple, apples on the bottom).

I would think that keeping it all cool on the way to Lees (cooler that stays in the shuttle rig), and keeping the ammo can cool (damp towel) while on the river would work great.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
For bananas do this:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7014&FORM=VIRE
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
If you are not sure how to pack and care for your fruit and veggies just remember how the grocery store had them displayed for sale.
Cucumbers, carrots and lettuce cool and moist
The rest of your list is usually just set out at the store where they stay at room temp and dry.
Who is bringing potatoes? they will last most likely your entire trip.

Have fun