Grand canyon cell sevice - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-11-2018   #1

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
Grand canyon cell sevice

After a diligent search on the Buzz, I could not locate a post I am sure I read last year regarding cell phone service in the canyon down to about carbon creek or that general area. Any info on if and where service is available in the canyon. Thanks in advance.

jkisraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
There was strong 4g signal (at&t) at Lee's last February... but I wasn't really paying attention to where it actually went out of service. I would personally be surprised if it lasted very far into Marble Canyon and certainly gone by Badger. Perhaps intermittently in spots or possibly if you hike up out of the canyon, but at river level no.

The GC locals on my trip in March swore if you hike a mile or two from Phantom that you got cell signal.

I think its safe to say that you shouldn't rely on cell service once you push off from Lee's Ferry. Maybe it has changed and its more reliable now though.

Be prepared for someone to come in here and make remarks about "unplugging and just enjoying the wilderness" or similar.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018   #3

Hi,

There have been reports of a signal when Desert View is in sight, and if you hike out of Phantom to the high ground toward Clear Creek. No personal experience with either location.

Not that I want it to happen, but I'm amazed somebody hasn't persuaded the Park to let them put a cell repeater at Phantom --
as a public safety measure, of course.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

There have been reports of a signal when Desert View is in sight, and if you hike out of Phantom to the high ground toward Clear Creek. No personal experience with either location.

Not that I want it to happen, but I'm amazed somebody hasn't persuaded the Park to let them put a cell repeater at Phantom --
as a public safety measure, of course.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
I'll be honest... it would take a certain level of stress out of my life if I could do a quick check to see what emails I missed and could call in to a few family members real quick. I know there is a phone down there that you can use calling cards, but that is a pain.

I know the last time I went down, my mom (who is starting to get forgetful and mixes up dates easily) called the NPS and freaked out because she thought I died or something even though it was a week before I was supposed to be back in Civilization.

Very seriously considering getting an Inreach device before my next trip because of that. I think a sat phone is too expensive, and might freak her out when it drops out.

Interesting to hear that there is a few spots. I guess I could understand the possibility at Desert View.
Old 01-11-2018   #5

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It you walk past phantom up to the sign for the clear creek trail, you should have weak cell service by the big rock. If not, continue on the clear creek trail up the hill a bit until you have a clear view of the south rim and try again.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
It you walk past phantom up to the sign for the clear creek trail, you should have weak cell service by the big rock. If not, continue on the clear creek trail up the hill a bit until you have a clear view of the south rim and try again.
Cool...good to know. I thought it was further then that. Not to be picky...but is this true for all major carriers?
Old 01-12-2018   #7
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Call me curmudgeon, but please no cell service in the Grand. Please let there be somewhere that social media, NSA, and the tech giants aren't following you. Next thing you know amazon prime drones flying into phantom to deliver party favors.
Sat service is enough. Useful, but expensive enough not to use after every drop.
The end of days.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018   #8
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Be prepared for someone to come in here and make remarks about "unplugging and just enjoying the wilderness" or similar.
...and there it is ^^^^^^^^^^
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo View Post
Next thing you know amazon prime drones flying into phantom to deliver party favors.
Do you think the drones could deliver ice?
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018   #10

Edgewood..., Not New...Not Mexico
Paddling Since: 0930
Go InReach!

Very seriously considering getting an Inreach device before my next trip because of that. I think a sat phone is too expensive, and might freak her out when it drops out.

+1 on the InReach suggestion. Good reliable way to keep all your folks in the know on your whereabouts. Our upcoming Canyon trip has decided to go with an InReach device rather than renting an expensive sat phone.
Livenswell is offline   Reply With Quote