GPS in the Grand Canyon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2015   #1

Calgary, Alberta
GPS in the Grand Canyon?

I'm SUPER STOKED to be joining a trip down the Grand at the end of this month!... but I have a question.

Is there reliable GPS signal in the canyon, or do the high canyon walls mean it's hit and miss?

I like to record GPS tracks of the rivers I've done as a sort of momento, but if my chances of reliable recording this track are very low, I'll probably just leave that gear at home.

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015   #2

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
It has been quite awhile since I was down there but in those areas where the river ran E-W and the walls were close (inner gorge, down in the mauv) it was hit or miss. Not sure if you need the southern horizon any more.
trevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #3

Hills-barrio, Oregon
We had a couple Garmin RINOs last year and no issues. Didn't try tracking but with topos and waypoints it helped with figuring out where campsites are.

Going again next month and will be bringing them again.

waypoints: GPS¬*Waypoints

free topos: GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr
zonedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I went down this spring and took a Garmin E-trex30. I put in the waypoints from Tom Martins guide book and it worked great.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #5

Calgary, Alberta
Awesome... thanks for the info!
Old 07-19-2015   #6

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedar View Post
We had a couple Garmin RINOs last year and no issues. Didn't try tracking but with topos and waypoints it helped with figuring out where campsites are.

Going again next month and will be bringing them again.

waypoints: GPS¬*Waypoints

free topos: GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr
I clearly have technological issues, but I can't figure out how to download the waypoints in a format that I can put on my GPS... can you lend a hand?
Old 07-20-2015   #7

Hills-barrio, Oregon
I use basecamp to get them on my garmin Rino. Not sure about other brands or programs. Basecamp is free from Garmin.

Click the button on the coords you want to save. Agree to the terms. It should open a new window with a bunch of XML code. Save that to a file with the extension .gpx.

Open Basecamp. In the library window, right click and create a new list, say "Grand Canyon". Highlight the new list and select File->Import into Grand Canyon. Select the GPX file you saved. Should now be imported.

Connect your GPs. Select Device->send to device.

I don't have my rino hooked up right now, but from there you should be able to sort out the rest.

Just make sure that after your done that you check your GPS to make sure that they are all there. Don't ask me how I know to recommend that step.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
I clearly have technological issues, but I can't figure out how to download the waypoints in a format that I can put on my GPS... can you lend a hand?
Old 07-20-2015   #8

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedar View Post
I use basecamp to get them on my garmin Rino. Not sure about other brands or programs. Basecamp is free from Garmin.

Click the button on the coords you want to save. Agree to the terms. It should open a new window with a bunch of XML code. Save that to a file with the extension .gpx.

Open Basecamp. In the library window, right click and create a new list, say "Grand Canyon". Highlight the new list and select File->Import into Grand Canyon. Select the GPX file you saved. Should now be imported.

Connect your GPs. Select Device->send to device.

I don't have my rino hooked up right now, but from there you should be able to sort out the rest.

Just make sure that after your done that you check your GPS to make sure that they are all there. Don't ask me how I know to recommend that step.

Good Luck!

That worked... thanks for the detailed instructions!
Old 07-20-2015   #9

Hills-barrio, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
That worked... thanks for the detailed instructions!
No Problem.

I expect a full report including details on rapids and camps so I can prep for our trip at the end of august!
Old 08-19-2015   #10

Calgary, Alberta
So I'm back... and I found that while there were times where my gps lost its mind and put me somewhere up the canyon walls on the topo, it got the trend right and with the way points I downloaded, it was a great help in knowing where we were at any given time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Mountain Buzz mobile app