going small and packing light .... ideas ? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-03-2015   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
going small and packing light .... ideas ?

OK ... transitioning from a good tow vech, 14 ft trailer, 15 'Avon, to a 12 ' So tar, and a Honda Fit! Don't want to give up on 3-4 night trips etc...myself and one other ( hopefully by spring anyway )...
Not a minimilist by nature so would love some ideas on how others have done it .... thanks!

Like the guy who self supported the GC in a mini...

dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Is this a joke? Why would go from a truck that can pull a trailer to a Honda fit.
Old 02-04-2015   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Nothing wrong with downsizing. Sometimes your life or your goals take you in a new direction. Think of it as a new challenge or adventure and it can be fun. The trick is to think like a backpacker. Small tent or tarp/groundcloth. Light weight pad to sleep on. If you'll be somewhere with ample trees then sleep in a hammock. Super comfy, small, light weight. Backpacking stove & cook kit. No cooler, or small cooler. Get a dehydrator and start making your own meals. Small packable camp chair like a Helinox One, or Travelchair Joey. Get a good filter and filter water as you go if possible. Sawyer Squeeze or Sawyer Mini. I'll be doing 2-3 nighters with a 10 foot Mini-Cat or 13 ft. touring SOT kayak this summer, so I've been getting my UL gear together. I have learned a ton from the UL backpacking crowd about gear selection. You'll be fine on a 12 footer with some planning. Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Practice drinking warm beer
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This site has some good information that pertains to going light whether in a kayak or raft.

Self Support Kayak Camping

Treat it like a backpacking trip and you can get 3-4 people in a 12' raft.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Great advice from cataraft girl. Jet boil's are awesome to save space, have heard of metal trash can lids being used as cheap, lightweight fire pan (provided you keep them off the ground somehow). Giving up cold beer would be a hard one,would have to switch to whisky. Have allways brought to much stuff , but trying to figure out how to run multi-days with a small boat for some of the tributaries that look super cool, or bigger runs(that the damn controllers don't allow water to go down) like the dolores ,most years.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Agreed Matt...warm beer is not an option! One of the
Reasons for the So tart is that I could fit a 105 yeti in it...will start looking at UL sites...
Tire Cat girl on life changing directions sometimes and agree that looking at it as a new adventure is key... will check out some of the items you mentioned... thanks... those were the types of things I was looking for!
dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #8

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
Practice drinking warm beer
Depends on the river.

Location, Location, Location.

Move to a state with good beer where one doesn't need to chill taste buds.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #9

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott58 View Post
Agreed Matt...warm beer is not an option! One of the
Reasons for the So tart is that I could fit a 105 yeti in it...will start looking at UL sites...
Tire Cat girl on life changing directions sometimes and agree that looking at it as a new adventure is key... will check out some of the items you mentioned... thanks... those were the types of things I was looking for!
I am just impressed you can fit a rolled 12 footer and a 105 Yeti inside the Honda Fit. Impressive!

As much as "less is more" is an important approach for such boating so is making sure your hard skills are bomber. Specifically those in planning logistics and camp choices. Fewer clothes, UL shelters, etc all require you to be on your A-game. UL shelters often require more skill is setting up so knowing a broader range of knots and pitching techniques is key.

All very attainable and likely already have all the skills. I love my small boat, less gear trips as the provide a very different experience. Hope you have some great adventures with your new setup.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #10

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Cold beer and steaks for me baby. I didn't spend thousands of dollars on a boat and gear so I could suffer eating freeze dried food on my vacation. Downsizing everything just seems like a big pain in the ass.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote