Getting Older and Running Class 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-26-2015   #1

Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Getting Older and Running Class 5

Yup, kinda bored and thinking about the upcoming season. Here in Colorado things are looking kinda grim-grim in most places- and my two favorite runs- the Piedra and Upper Animas are pretty much destined to have short seasons. I'll be heading to Idaho to run some non-permitted goodness-and some permitted goodness in June...

I'm 45 and I've been enjoying class 4/5 whitewater for the past 18 years-running most of it in a cataraft. I still really like it, but have found that it sure is getting harder to find folks who still enjoy the rush, focus, and commitment to running rivers that demand respect and a high level of skill.

No huge point to this post, just kinda wondering who else out there is also "gettin up there" and still gettin after it.

dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015   #2

i am 44. i do not consider my age "getting up there". i run the good stuff, and want more all the time.

i have seen older friends whose wives have told me that "he can't do those things anymore". Bullshit! when you stop doing, that is when you get old!
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #3

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
You youngsters! Hey Dgoods, if your healthy and you love it, do it! If your contemporaries are bailing on you so be it. There are plenty of us over 40 folks on the river. I'm 56 and getting bolder with age yet more cautious. I'm willing to make the run still but not with the careless abandon I once had. Taking a smarter not harder approach to things these days.

When you get to Idaho, give a shout and we'll go give it hell on a river or two. Old School!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015   #4

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I turn 56 this year and am trying to up my game as I got into the white water thing later in life.(about 5 years ago) I love it. Ran numbers last spring in my 16' cat. Intense experience, you becha. Want more? You becha. Kids are grown and stable time to crank up the fun meter. I would love to raft with any of you guys.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #5

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Shite! I didn't start boating till I was 46 and this will be my 20th season. I've always been very calculating on the water but I've got plenty in my posse still getting after it. Low impact on the body, high reward for the spirit. Love this sport.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #6

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Everything you guys say is true plus when some young hard chargers get their asses in a tight spot and need help, on or off the river, it's generally some "Old Dude" with the experience and a cool head that puts things right. .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
My first trip was about 54 years ago on the Yampa. Rowed my own boat 2010 down the GC. Only thing that has changed is the size of my Social Security check the last few years. I try to do 3-4 class 4+ trips a year and several float fish trips. I figure anyone under 60 should be just getting warmed up for the next couple of decades of river fun and anyone over 72 should not have to do groover duty anymore. I raft with guy's older than me. Dying on a couch watching TV is not in my plans.
Old 03-26-2015   #8

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My first trip was about 54 years ago on the Yampa. Rowed my own boat 2010 down the GC. Only thing that has changed is the size of my Social Security check the last few years. I try to do 3-4 class 4+ trips a year and several float fish trips. I figure anyone under 60 should be just getting warmed up for the next couple of decades of river fun and anyone over 72 should not have to do groover duty anymore. I raft with guy's older than me. Dying on a couch watching TV is not in my plans.
Nice. I assume you are 72.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #9

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
I have been rafting for 45 years. A year and a half ago at 59 I started kayaking. I did some of the Grand last may in a kayak and my goal is to progress to the point of running the entire grand in my kayak.
Old 03-27-2015   #10

Steamboat, Colorado
You guys kick ass. I can only hope that I'll be able to paddle into a super ripe age and senile state of mind Seriously though, shit like this makes me happy. It also makes me question why anyone would want to push themselves to class V in their second year of paddling... got your whole damn life ahead of you.
Anyway, keep kickin ass!