Getting a Boat to Chile - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2012   #1

Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 2010
Getting a Boat to Chile

Okay, so how does one go about getting a boat to Chile? I'd prefer legitimate routes here, rather than hoping I can pass something off as a wave ski. Unfortunately, United allows kayaks but not on 737 aircraft, which is all that flies into Santiago. Is FedEx an option? Airline cargo? Anyone know? Are there customs fees for stuff like that?

Thanks in advance for your help! I REALLY, REALLY want to take my boat with me!

kirbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012   #2

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I always heard to buy a boat there, and sell it on your way out.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
I'd second buying a boat there. Chile is weird when it comes to beurocracy and you never know what sort of fees or delays might occur. Going to pucon first? Rodrigo at kayak pucon will hook you up.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012   #4

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
Try "it's a JUNGLE RIDER"..... Worked for us when we went....robby dastin technique.... Toolbag420cb....
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #5

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Get in touch with the Garcia's. They have a company that ships boats to Chile. Otherwise, you can rent from a couple guys in Pucon or in the Futa area. Pucon Kayak Hostel (New River Academy/Huge Experiences) also may have some boats to rent. You can get all kinds of boats there, but most of the fun stuff you'll need a creeker.
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #6

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...2-a-39572.html

here's another discussion that might help
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #7

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbz View Post
Okay, so how does one go about getting a boat to Chile? I'd prefer legitimate routes here, rather than hoping I can pass something off as a wave ski. Unfortunately, United allows kayaks but not on 737 aircraft, which is all that flies into Santiago. Is FedEx an option? Airline cargo? Anyone know? Are there customs fees for stuff like that?

Thanks in advance for your help! I REALLY, REALLY want to take my boat with me!

If you ship it air cargo be prepared to spend a day in santiago getting it out of the customs offices and storage out next to the airport. You ought to know spanish well to go that route. it will cast around $400.
by a brand new boat from the garcias there in pucon for cheaper than you can buy a boat here in colorado.
buy a used one in santiago or pucon, there are many contacts.
if you show up at the airport trying to get it on you flight, it's about a 50/50 chance you can do it in the oversized luggage dept. bring somebody with you in case they say no, you can still fly, and your buddy takes your boat home for you.
other idea would be to contact ian garcia or his dad at northern lights to see if you can get it in a container that they may be shipping.
also you can get a partial container throw it in there and pick it up in san antonio. good luck with that. for chile experts only.
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #8

Pucon Chile Paddling Since: 1990
in 2003 I shipped airline cargo...

Over the past dozen years I've done most every route with a kayak. One time I flew with 5 kayaks and one personal bag. Last year I flew with a creek boat, a rear lift-gate window to a Chevy Tahoe, 2 SUP boards, and large personal bag. It's like a fun challenge for me... but it's not for everyone.

Here are the details of my airline cargo experience. At the time I was the director of Huge Experiences (kayak high school). We sent 13 kayaks air cargo (think it was American Airlines). I recall it coming to about $115/boat which seemed like a lot back then and it was more than the expected $75/oversize bag. But we paid extra for the guarantee factor.
Myself and a solid Chilean logistician spent the next day in customs (lots of going back and forth and back again with varying papers). The group hungout at the Rio Maipo and were upset to not paddle that first day. After a sweaty day with customs they checked out.

What you will need to ship aircargo.
You need an on-the-ground Chile customs agent or logistics person to list on the papers. You'll need an additional day and a vehicle to go back and forth between offices. Was worth the effort for 13 but I think too much for one boat.

I now own Pucon Kayak Hostel and rent kayaks as a solution to this challenge. Still leading youth trips too... so lots of kayak transport happening. At approximately $US20/day many boaters spend less renting than if they'd pay in excess luggage fees. For extended rentals we'll work with you on a discount (especially if it's not peak-season).
Pucon Kayak Hostel Kayak Fleet

Ian Garcia is selling new kayaks at good rates in Pucon. Kayak Chile and Kayak Pucon also rent affordable kayaks.

If you decide to rent then I'd like the opportunity to give you a quote.

Keep Kayaking.
David
gohuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #9

Puerto Varas, CHILE
Paddling Since: 1998
Hello
We also have some ww kayaks for rent and sell/buy in Puerto Varas and can deliver them in Santiago.
Ko'kayak | Actividades Outdoor en Patagonia rafting, canyoning, kayak de mar desde 1998
Although we mainly work with sea kayaks we have some ww boats too.
I am not sure that buying a used boat in Chile is a good option, not much choice, high prices.
Better buy a new on.
Flying with a kayak is not worth it anymore in Chile in guess.
Regards y buena suerte.
kokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #10
swimming

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If you haven't noticed, there is ocean all the way from here to Chile and you have a boat. Put those together and you have a great way to get yourself and a boat down there. This method has been tried and true for thousands of years.
Read a book.
Ben-Lucks-a-Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chile