Gettin Maytagged - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-05-2019   #1

Banff, alberta
Gettin Maytagged

So me and a couple buddies are amazed at this commentary. Hopefully no one got injured because I really can’t get enough of this video.
If this man is a buzzard please step forward.

gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
"That was a full Maytag circle jerk!"

I'm new to rowing but you'd better believe I'd come into a rapid named Maytag with some steam.

This hurt to watch why were they not able to grab a throw bag and get yanked out?
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post

I'm new to rowing but you'd better believe I'd come into a rapid named Maytag with some steam.

This hurt to watch why were they not able to grab a throw bag and get yanked out?
Its actually Tappan Falls on the Middle Fork... but Tappan certainly gave them a maytagging.

I'm sure they would have appreciated a throw bag or something...but people decided to watch from shore and make comments while shooting video rather then help the guys out.

I heard one guy had a couple of broken ribs.

The rapid has a REALLY easy setup with flatwater above, a big eddy to boat scout from on river right, and a fairly clear tongue to run down. The guys who got Maytagged even had a few boats to follow that did the correct line. Not sure why they went over there.

That said, on my last trip down we had a few guys go over that same spot, but they didn't get Maytagged. They definitely scared themselves though and it got kinda flippy but no carnage.

Edit: Watched the whole thing again after seeing it a year or two ago... looks like they followed the pink cataraft into the hole. I agree that attempts at getting a rope to them certainly was not as enthusiastic nor accurate as it could have been.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019   #4

Banff, alberta
Piss poor throw bag skills......
gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Remember when you see someone taking a beating...thats probably one less applicant for permits. Protect the resource, laugh at the beaters.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post

Its actually Tappan Falls on the Middle Fork... but Tappan certainly gave them a maytagging.
They definitely got the spin cycle. Would they have been able to punch through it if they came in with some momentum?
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #7

Truckee, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
Piss poor throw bag skills......
Read and run gone wrong!

On the poor throw bag skills....yeah, pre-swim to the raft and post-swim to the swimmers. The best chance was the green raft tossing a bag while passing to their right early in that spin cycle - that could have salvaged the situation pretty quick and the toss was piss poor. My teenagers would have done better (I would hope, anyway).

In fairness I'm not convinced the 2 guys in the spin could have caught and secured a bag being tossed at the raft from shore. They looked spent at that point and resigned to a flip.
SixPek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Ah yes the Maytag MF video, one of the all time greats. If you search for it there is a detailed discussion on this video on Mtn Buzz.

Edit: Found it

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...deo-48435.html
Redside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
I am not familiar with this video

but am familiar with almost the same action way back in the late 90's

this was a experienced rafter along with his 12 or so year old son in the bow. A big Marivia 15 footer. Pretty much loaded.

I was there and at the time was of several ACA Swiftwater instructors on the trip and none of us got a throw rope out from either bank. And as been posted earlier, I doubt the rafters could have caught the rope if we had.

The dad had all he could do keeping the boat up right and was working the oars really well attempting to row out. The son was in the bow getting thrown all over and did good to hold on. This went on for a very long time maybe 15 minutes and every one was tired.

some how the big cooler got loose a bit and floated up plus on one of the spins the bow line bag opening came undone and the long bow line floated down well pass the bottom line of the hole. The oarsman had a burly long bow line and this turned out to be the factor that got the raft free.

I think the combo gave the oarsman a tiny chance to get loose one a spin and he gave it all he had on the oars and it came slowly out.

Bottom line. It is easier than one thinks to get caught in this hole. And getting out is really hard. If possible hug the river right chute no matter what. My opinion any one who can keep their raft upright in this keeper is a good on the oars and hi side routine.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #10

little rock, Arkansas
Mr. Dave, I'm glad to hear you say river right. I thought that might have been the line, but I'm not very good on the sticks so I wasn't sure. Still trying to figure it out and this kind of stuff helps.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote