GC Sleeping situations - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-07-2018   #1

Telluride, Colorado
GC Sleeping situations

Good day.

I am going on a late January grand trip. Most trips I sleep in kitchen/hang out area under rain fly. Not a fan of tents. Sometimes on boat if it can be Sandy and windy. Figure becauss of night temps boat no good. I am worried when on windy nights the sand kicking up into my lungs. Silicosis. I have heard tents don't protect from this since they are just filtering down to fine particles. What do you guys think? I was thinking a cot plus Paco would get me 17 inches of ground. Wonder if dealing with a tarp could be better or an addition. Trying to keep it simple as possible. Thanks.

benrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
If temps are right sleeping on the boat is great for sure. I agree that January probably isn't the greatest time for it though. I did a Lodore trip a month ago, and stuff on my raft (bow lines, water bottles, etc) froze but the stuff 10-30 feet up the shore didn't, so the temp difference is stark down on the water.

I did a late February trip in 2017 and did a tent about half the nights when it looked like possible rain or extra windy (or a bit of privacy on the big beach camps). The other nights I just slept on a roll a cot under the stars. Either way, I used one of the Cgear Sand Free Mats under it to combat the sand (mostly on the feet...but it did provide a nice area around the sleeping area to keep wind swept sand down too).

On the nights I slept out I never felt like sand blowing around was an issue, but I also didn't get heavy wind on the no tent nights either. There were definitely a few camps where wind kicked sand up and deposited it into tents while we slept though. Two of the girls on our trip that shared a tent put their tent on the leeward side of a sand dude and woke up covered in a thick layer of sand.

I guess that is my rambling way of saying I think you'll be fine sleeping out. Just pick your camps and your spot at camp according to the weather and it shouldn't be problem. I like a bit of seclusion from the group so camping in the common area wouldn't work for me personally and if I wasn't gonna sleep on my boat or in a tent, I'd consider a small wing or a Megamid style single pole tent so I didn't have to sleep in the middle of camp.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018   #3

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
On winter trips take a double wall tent with solid walls or one that has solid zip in panels. You will sleep warmer and if you get wind won't have the sand filtering in through the mesh. Not much need for extra ventilation that time of year. If sleeping out a good gore tex bivy sack will add warmth and keep the frost off your bag.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Last winter I slept under the stars with the exception of two nights. I tend to sleep on my boat a couple nights, as well.
Em and Dstrat are right, in that up the beach a ways is a lot warmer, and a tent will add a lot of warmth as well.

I have a silk liner for my 0 degree bag, then I like to toss my fleece blanket over the top. The blanket tends to just absorb whatever condensation happens, instead of letting it condense on my sleeping bag, and then melting and soaking through. Sacrificial blanky.

I just sleep on my Paco Pad, so sometimes I get mice running across my face, which kinda sucks. To cold for reptiles, and most bugs at least, I switch to my boat towards the end of the canyon sometimes, to keep the spiders off my face.

I just really like sleeping under the stars, and hate setting up a tent. Can't beat staring at Orion from the bottom of the Grand Canyon, so I give up a little comfort for this.
Old 12-08-2018   #5

Tabernash, Colorado
Really, the colder it is, the more I like sleeping under the stars, pretty much everything is hiding under a rock, and not bothering you when it's real cold. A cot would be awesome, just would be a little colder, with the airflow underneath. Need a good pad if you go with a cot.
Old 12-08-2018   #6

Tabernash, Colorado
Hey get your self a pair of rubber ditch boots to, if you don't have them. I go on a lot of winter time trips, and it's about the most valuable piece of gear in winter time. Makes loading/unloading your boat way better. No liners, cause eventually you will step in a deep spot, and fill them with water, and then the liners take forever to dry out by the fire, or blaster.
Have a great trip down there! It is cold, but still a wonderful time to be down there!
Old 12-08-2018   #7

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
I’ve been down in November and December. Slept under the stars on the ground. Wrapped my self in a tarp for the rain and blowing sand. I used two sleeping bags most nights, really toasty that way.

A cot would have been nice, but I am too lazy to mess with that. A bucket of river water to dampen the sand around you might help.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Your NOT going to get Silicosis from sleeping in the Grand canyon during a rafting trip. The exposure levels are exponential higher than what you would get on a Grand trip. You have to work around it for long periods of time for extended duration's. OSHA has increased regulations for Silica but even they calculate exposure over and 8 hour period and the are permissible levels that you don't have to have a respirator.
Old 12-11-2018   #9

Telluride, Colorado
It's not that I am going to get silicosis I should have used my words wiser. It's just I want to sleep outside and not be breathing fine particles of sand on windy nights. There is no arguing that breathing fine particles of silica sand is bad.
Old 12-11-2018   #10

Telluride, Colorado
Thanks everyone for their input! Probably just take a cot and tarp for sleeping, along with obviously bag liner pillow.