GC NPS River Patrols - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-11-2018   #1

Mesa, Arizona
GC NPS River Patrols

Just wanted to remind everyone that NPS is back to Law Enforcement river patrols in the Grand this year. Last year citations were written for no PFD while on the river, no kitchen tarp, several for drug violations and a couple of trips were stopped, but not cited, for drinking while on the river. All of the boating DUI laws that I could find relate specifically to motorized watercraft. Potential charges like endangerment are another issue. Also, please remember that anything in plain sight is liable to get you charged and the evidence will hold up in court. Hope everyone has a safe and happy season. And to those with a Grand trip, have a really great time!

Rich Harter
President
GCPBA

RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
....anything in plain sight is liable to get you charged and the evidence will hold up in court.
That would be Federal Court, if I'm not mistaken...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018   #3

Mesa, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
That would be Federal Court, if I'm not mistaken...
It would absolutely be Federal Court. Not a great place to spend post trip time and money.
RichH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2018   #4

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Also be sure to obey the launch ramp rules when rigging. Our trip leader was ticketed ( $130) last month for having more than two vehicles on the ramp at a time. The ranger warned the offender three times before taking action and was just doing their job.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I guess three times is fair warning. That said, was the ramp that busy? If so, I get it, but I would think without commercials there would have been plenty of room on the ramp for the ranger to not worry about it.
Old 04-12-2018   #6

North Central, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1998
If you are asked to do something 3 times and then get a ticket for not taking the warnings I got zero sympathy for you. I don't care what the scenario is.
Dsuth82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018   #7

Mesa, Arizona
Three warnings is more than fair. The reason for enforcing the rule when the ramp is not busy is that it would be harder to enforce when the ramp is busy. Having said that, the rangers will make some exceptions when the ramp is not real crowded, they just don't want to set a precedent or raise expectations. In reality, how many vehicles can be unloaded at one time anyway? How many thousands of pounds of gear can even a full trip of 16 unload at any given time?
RichH
Old 04-12-2018   #8

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
I guess three times is fair warning. That said, was the ramp that busy? If so, I get it, but I would think without commercials there would have been plenty of room on the ramp for the ranger to not worry about it.
You are not allowed to rig on the commercial side even when there are no commercial trips. I had zero sympathy for the person who ignored the warnings, they weren't even loading or unloading just didn't want to walk back from the parking lot, at the most 100 yards.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Whoa, I didnt say I had sympathy and stated that 3 warnings was fair enough. I just like to see common sense reign and maybe it did, but, why cant privates rig on the commercial side during a time of year when there are NO commercials? Thats the kind of shit that makes about as much sense as listing a PATL for a lottery. At the least you should be able to list an ATL when you win and use the damn ramp when no one else is going to. If there is one trip that day, use the whole damn ramp, who cares.

Again, the guy deserved the ticket if he was asked three times.
Old 04-12-2018   #10

Mesa, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Whoa, I didnt say I had sympathy and stated that 3 warnings was fair enough. I just like to see common sense reign and maybe it did, but, why cant privates rig on the commercial side during a time of year when there are NO commercials? Thats the kind of shit that makes about as much sense as listing a PATL for a lottery. At the least you should be able to list an ATL when you win and use the damn ramp when no one else is going to. If there is one trip that day, use the whole damn ramp, who cares.

Again, the guy deserved the ticket if he was asked three times.
There are also fisherman and others that use the ramp even if no commercial raft trips are planned. What about other private rafters that may come a day early? And, as I said earlier, allowing use of the entire ramp sets a precedent that the rangers will have to deal with going forward.
RichH