GC bugs in April/May? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
GC bugs in April/May?

Buzzards,
I'm prepping for an April 27 GC launch and realized I was working under assumptions from previous winter and summer trips. I typically sleep out without a tent. I'm wondering if that will work in the spring? Specifically, are biting insects an issue at all in the spring?
Thanks.

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I ran it in May of 2016 and we had no issues with bugs. I only put up a tent once or twice because of a threat of rain.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Except for the occasional fly, no flying insects to speak of...do watch out for red ants during the day...their bite stings and hurts like crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
Except for the occasional fly, no flying insects to speak of...do watch out for red ants during the day...their bite stings and hurts like crazy!
I will second that, I got zapped by one and it hurt for a couple days.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Some of the more swampy camps have very light Mosquitoes but otherwise no biting/stinging flying insects. The last couple years there have definitely been more bugs though...I think the "bug flows" they have been doing are working. Plenty of large winged bugs and no see ums...but they aren't a huge annoyance since they don't bite.

Definitely watch out for those Ants...they love to hide in the sand and get ya. Not sure if it was ants or a tiny scorpion..but I feel like every trip down there I get bit or stung on the foot and it hurts and swells up a little for a few days.

Scorpions are definitely a thing...but I've never been on a trip where someone got a confirmed sting....but I've certainly heard stories. I saw a huge scorpion at Race Track in 2018... at least 4" claws to tail. We laid over there and named him Winston Marsalus after the Pulp Fiction character (for some unknown reason). Especially at the rocky camps they are all over the place...usually not right on top of where people camp though. Certainly worth a check and shake out your shoes before you put em on though.

The buggiest camp I've stayed at was Upper Nevels. Stayed there in August 2016 and it was the only place we saw mosquitoes and there were these tiny scorpion shaped insects that were crawling out of the water by the thousands. A few people camped on Paco's near the water and woke up covered in bug goo from them. It was also the only place we saw a Rattle Snake...and it was discovered curled up on one of the pads in someones sleeping area. Not my favorite camp (probably my least favorite actually). There is a cool little side canyon with a stream that you can hike up though...and it does make for a nice camp if its super windy and you don't have a huge group. Not a ton of room to spread out...so close quarters. Just accept that it will be a little buggy and quite muddy and wet.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

East Wenatchee, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
That exact timeframe in '18 there were plenty of non-biting small insects at night, which was during one of the bug flow periods. If you're bunking out with a head lamp on for awhile you will attract larger flying insects like moths, which in turn will have bats up close and personal. Take a blacklight with you to find scorpions if you have the stomach for it. Might be better to be careful and not to know. Have fun.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Bend, Oregon
Thanks

Thanks All. I have no problem with anything thats not biting me and I do always bring a blacklight for scorpions- it is super cool to see them (not in your shoes).

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote