Gauley River Guiding Work - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-10-2017   #1

mccall, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Gauley River Guiding Work

Hey all,

I know its a bit early but I am curious if anybody has any advice/recommendations for working as a guide on the Gauley or New River Gorge in the later part of the season, especially during the month of September when they release. I will be available to head out their as early as mid August. Any insights on to good quality outfits to reach out to would also be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

cheers,

Shane

earnurturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017   #2

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Ace and Adventures on the Gorge

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
JakeSchipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #3
Mile 157

Guess, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
[QUOTE=JakeSchipper;500666]Ace and Adventures on the Gorge

I agree with Adventures on the Gorge. Working for Paul Brewer is awesome; did an Upper Gauley training trip with him at 4,400 cfs if memory serves me correct. With him rowing we broke an oar lock at Pillow Rock but still came through unscathed! Cut my river-teeth with him when the company was called "Mountain River Tours 98/99." Great outfit, great times, highly recommended.
Fruita Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2017   #4

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Start calling now, more then likely maybe work for the first two weekends, but it's not like the old days when a bunch of guides could roll in for Gauley and get work. Most of the companies have all grown so large that they have staff for Gauley. Not trying to be negative but it's pretty tuff to just show up at the end of the season and get work.
Critter70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #5

mccall, Idaho
Very much appreciated on the recommendations folks... Kinda had a feeling it might be a bit difficult to pick up work if they were bigger outfits that have full time staff.. Either way, even if I just get a week or 2 out of it I would be psyched..I 'll start calling today.. Any other companies worth reaching out to??
Old 03-11-2017   #6

FOCO, Colorado
The biggies
Ace, I was an Acehole for along time, about as senior as you could get, when I left in 2010 I was only getting maybe 17 days out of the 23. Years before this I would get everyday pretty easy. If you really want Gauley work head out now. Ace and Adventures on the gorge (aotg) both run it during the summer. The Gauley is actually harder at higher and lower flows then fall season and tons of fun, cause nobody else is out there. This way you are more then checked out by fall season. Most companies take the time in the spring when the Gauley is at least fall flow to get their staff over there for check out runs. Otherwise come Gauley season you get the Thursday pre release of about 1700 then it's opening weekend and your still trying to get checkecked out. First two weekends almost always need the most guides as the season progresses less and less work, your spending the whole week just to work two days. Places to call
Adventures on the gorge huge company
Ace huge company
River expedition pretty big
Those are the three big ones there used to be lots of others but they have mostly merged.
Cantrell rafting Adams a super solid dude, but smaller company.
Another advantage to someplace like Ace is all the other stuff they offer that helps supplement pay. Paintball, zip line, climbing, mt biking. If you have skills in any of these areas or are willing to be trained you can get lots of work.

That being said companies like Ace have two training session a year. One in march and one in may. They train roughly 20 plus new guides a season that's what makes it so hard to find work, tons of newbies and lots of old timers wanting weekend warrior work.
Don't know if this helps but again showing up in the fall, your not going to get much work.
As of now I'm planning on making a pilgrimage for Gauley to play and buzzards are welcome to come along, at the least I can help with all the shuttle camping and river beta.
Old 03-11-2017   #7

mccall, Idaho
Thats all super helpful beta Critter 70.. Makes a ton of sense to go out there in the Spring to get familiar w/ the river and try and get checked off. I have never run the Gauley so the more river time the better. I work on Clear creek currently and going out to the Gauley in May could work out great timing wise since I wont start pushing rubber on the Creek until June, even if it runs earlier than usual I would rather miss a week or 2 here for the experience and trianing on the Gauley..

Thanks also for the list of the other big players out East. the more companies I can reach out to and try and get my foot in the door the better..

If things materialize and I can actually get an opportunity to go out and train I will hit you up and see if you were wanting to head out there. Even if I cant find work i'm still planning on road tripping there in the fall for private boating and late season fun.. if your ever looking for a partner here in CO for section of river dont be shy.. My girfriend and I run 14' cats privatley and boat anything from class III-V regularly all season...

Again thx for all the sound advice...
Old 03-11-2017   #8

FOCO, Colorado
Who you working for on the creek? I worked for clear creek several years, if your going early season might as well stay. Better whitewater longer season tons of cool people. If you get on with Ace a huge advantage is they have 1600 acres and a true guide village on property, guessing at least 60 guides living there, makes life fun make a ton of friends and contacts, and your going to be working some class 5. Play hard, play safe
Old 03-11-2017   #9

mccall, Idaho
This will be my second season working for RMA.. Unfortunaley I couldnt swing working a full season on the Gauley, at least not this season. The thought of a longer season and guiding class V is certainly appealing but its just not in the cards right now. Ultimatley I will be in Idaho working on the Main, but for now CO short season will have to do, hence why im trying to scrounge up 2-4 extra weeks at the end of our season here..

cheers,