FYI Rangers on Trough Road - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-14-2017   #1

conifer, Colorado
FYI Rangers on Trough Road

Just an FYI that instead of patrolling the river as they should a ranger gave us a lame $80 ticket for helping a couple people on a shuttle. Apparently against the law to have people in a trailer or on raft on trailer for the shuttle.

Legal to ride in the back of pickup but not trailer. Pretty lame, the rangers should be patrolling the shitshow on the river and educating people in tubes to wear PFD's.

SHAME ON YOUR RANGERS!

mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2017   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
its against the law to haul somebody in a camp trailer too. (but it's okay in the back of a motor home) I agree that it's a little stupid, but it's spelled out clearly in most DMV handbooks. it's a risk, and risks have a cost. (it appears as though this time the cost was $80) I hope the shuttled folks helped in that cost considering they accepted the risk.
Old 08-14-2017   #3

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
its against the law to haul somebody in a camp trailer too. (but it's okay in the back of a motor home) I agree that it's a little stupid, but it's spelled out clearly in most DMV handbooks. it's a risk, and risks have a cost. (it appears as though this time the cost was $80) I hope the shuttled folks helped in that cost considering they accepted the risk.

Point being, they should focus enforcement where it matters. Typical of law enforcement it's all about generating revenue vs. serve and protect. Warning would have been plenty sufficient.

And no, we told the people to ride there, they offered to help and we said no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2017   #4

South Lake Tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 2006
what River were you on ? and where did this happen?
MTHC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #5

Boise, Idaho
hauling somebody in a trailer, you run the risk of hitting a bump and knocking them out, they then get hurt, it's a safety issue.

Drunk driving, they're not hurting anybody... until they do. not as safety issue until it is.

Both get the same attention from cops because of what could happen. $80 fine sounds way better than the crap you would have to go through for a DUI.

You made a bad decision, and you're sore that you got fined. But would you want somebody driving drunk to just get a warning, because they were driving somebody home and doing them a favor? And other people are being stupid on the river.. so they should pay attention to them instead?
Old 08-14-2017   #6

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
hauling somebody in a trailer, you run the risk of hitting a bump and knocking them out, they then get hurt, it's a safety issue.

Drunk driving, they're not hurting anybody... until they do. not as safety issue until it is.

Both get the same attention from cops because of what could happen. $80 fine sounds way better than the crap you would have to go through for a DUI.

You made a bad decision, and you're sore that you got fined. But would you want somebody driving drunk to just get a warning, because they were driving somebody home and doing them a favor? And other people are being stupid on the river.. so they should pay attention to them instead?

I guess my Libertarian views differ from your left wing nanny state. I will be responsible if I hurt someone. Obviously driving a lot slower with people in the raft who were hunkered down rather than sitting on the edge. NO WAY IN HELL could they have been bumped out!

Warning would have been plenty sufficient and again they should be educating people at the put in.
Old 08-14-2017   #7

Boise, Idaho
*ha ha* thanks for the laugh. I'm far from left. And idaho is waaaay right of Colorado.

But face it dude, you fucked up. Smoke your weed, drive drunk, speed.. do all sorts of stupid shit. just be ready for the consequences.
consider the $80 a deterrent along with warning. *boo hoo*

but I agree, it would be nice if they were on the river doing their job too. Fine the non PFD wearing tubers, instead of giving them warnings. *ha ha*

your thinking sounds more left (whaaa give me a warning, I don't want a fine.. I want the medal even though we got last place!)
Old 08-14-2017   #8

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHC3 View Post
what River were you on ? and where did this happen?
Pumphouse to Ranch Del Rio Upper C
Old 08-14-2017   #9

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Mr. Compassionate. Yes the shitshow is on the river true, but access to said river is on trough road. The shitshow doesn't magically disappear on the boat ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #10

Denver, Colorado
Trailers are not a safe place to ride. Hitches fail and sometimes the hitch comes off the ball. Lots of home made stuff out there that isn't inspected. There is a good reason for that law. Don't be a snowflake, just own up to your mistake.
-d