Four Bay Frames - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-09-2012   #1

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Four Bay Frames

So it seems like most of the four bay frames I am seeing on the river and commercially built are setup as follows:
(First Photo, Salmon River Expedition Frame by Cambridge Welding)
Bay 1 Drybox or table and drop bag
Bay 2 Cooler
Bay 3 Rower Compartment
Bay 4 Drybox (as seat)

But on the Grand Canyon the dominant setup was as follows:
(Second Photo, Frame by Artisan Metal Works. I find this the sexiest raft frame ever.)
Bay 1 Drop bag
Bay 2 Rower compartment
Bay 3 Cooler (as seat)
Bay 4 Drop bag

I see the advantage of having the cooler and drybox in front in order to get more weight up front, but I like the idea of running a Grand Canyon style setup with a table and drop bag in back that I can line a row of drybags.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salmon River Frame.jpg
Views:	2526
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	4327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Artisan Metal Works.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	4328  

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I think those captain boxes dont give yo a lot of room for feet. Are you an amputee?
Old 02-09-2012   #3

Tigard, Oregon
I ran the same frame on the GC, I thought the same thing until I got on the water. You would be amazed at how little space you need. I think there is about 15" for your legs.The setup I am building has 20"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
An extra bay between you and passengers = fewer oars in peoples backs when you're transitioning to "plan B" in a rapid.

I can place a single Bills Bag 3.8 upright behind my seat and have a lumbar support - and it doesn't take much of a dunnage pile to have a full back rest. Pinching 2-3 bags behind me along that back bar is pretty similar to the pile on the deck of a Grand boat, but lower profile and you can get into all your bays all the time.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #5

What size boat? The thing with an 18' grand boat is how much extra room you have, both length and width. Trying to do that on a narrower boat I can easily see beaning the passengers with an oar. might be worth calling PRO and getting the dimensions. All that stuff is so much bigger, perspective scaling it down is tough. Sounds good in theory, or could also just add a trailer frame to an existing setup. Kind of depends on how big you can make those captains boxes since they are huge on those boats and you won't be able to carry another dry box.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #6

Tigard, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
What size boat? The thing with an 18' grand boat is how much extra room you have, both length and width. Trying to do that on a narrower boat I can easily see beaning the passengers with an oar. might be worth calling PRO and getting the dimensions. All that stuff is so much bigger, perspective scaling it down is tough. Sounds good in theory, or could also just add a trailer frame to an existing setup. Kind of depends on how big you can make those captains boxes since they are huge on those boats and you won't be able to carry another dry box.
My boat is 14ft, the PRO boat was 16ft. The captain's boxes on my boat are going to be slightly wider than a rocket box. On mt 12.5ft I used rockets boxes and they fit just right.

I forgot about the oars flipping forward issue, I had a few forceful "excuse me" moments in the 16ft.
Old 02-09-2012   #7

oh, we had the 18' PRO setup and I came home and wondered how I make it in my 14'. You're not going to get a lot of storage out of those captains boxes. I'm just not sure I'd trade a full sized dry box for a second drop bag.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #8

Tigard, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
oh, we had the 18' PRO setup and I came home and wondered how I make it in my 14'. You're not going to get a lot of storage out of those captains boxes. I'm just not sure I'd trade a full sized dry box for a second drop bag.
My four bays are going to be a cooler, narrow dry box, drop bag with a table as a lid and the rowers compartment with two 20"x12" captain's boxes. Of course I am dropping a mint buying all of this new, so the captain's boxes are going to have to wait until next year.
Old 02-09-2012   #9

Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
My four bays are going to be a cooler, narrow dry box, drop bag with a table as a lid and the rowers compartment with two 20"x12" captain's boxes. Of course I am dropping a mint buying all of this new, so the captain's boxes are going to have to wait until next year.

Your shopping at the wrong place then , like Bax. If that is the sexiest raft frame ever I have to wonder what they put in the water in portland
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #10
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Two storage bays in front of the rower's bay does prevent the oar-in-the-back problem. Also gets more weight forward. If anything, I'd set it up for the big cooler and drybox in front, and sit on a drop bag, for better weight distribution. On my boat I sit on the cooler, which is often heavier than the drop bag, which is up front. My only other preference is I had my dryboxes built, rather than off-the-shelf. Reason: The main drybox is wide enough to fill the boat side to side, and it and both captain's boxes are only 15" tall, instead of 16", with hang tabs up near the lid, so they sit lower down in the boat. Gives me a relatively flat low-profile walk-around area. I don't care for the drybox hangers or anything that makes the box stick up 2-3" above the frame, though I understand it is necessary in some boats to keep it off the self-bailing floor. But that said I'd rather have a shallower box that I can still keep off the floor than a box that sits way up above the frame.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote