Floor valve repair on a Riken - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-15-2015   #1

NE, Oregon
Floor valve repair on a Riken

Need to replace the floor valve boot on a Riken Nez Perce.

The baffles in the main section of the floor run parallel to the boat, the baffles in the bow and stern run perpendicular.

When inflating, the main section inflates first then the bow and stern.

The valve is currently in the front of the main section. Which requires that the frame/boxes be positioned behind it. Sacrificing potential storage space in the stern (if you could run the frame further forward).

The question: Can we move the valve into the bow, without causing any problems? I only ask because of how the floor inflates (main then bow/stern)

Any first hand experience out there?

Thanks

Willie 1.5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015   #2

-, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie 1.5 View Post
Need to replace the floor valve boot on a Riken Nez Perce.

The baffles in the main section of the floor run parallel to the boat, the baffles in the bow and stern run perpendicular.

When inflating, the main section inflates first then the bow and stern.

The valve is currently in the front of the main section. Which requires that the frame/boxes be positioned behind it. Sacrificing potential storage space in the stern (if you could run the frame further forward).

The question: Can we move the valve into the bow, without causing any problems? I only ask because of how the floor inflates (main then bow/stern)

Any first hand experience out there?

Thanks
Yes you can move the valve anywhere on the floor. You have to be careful in how you do it, but it is doable. It would require removing the valve and patching over the old hole, and cutting a new hole where you want it and installing a new valve boot. You will have to make sure you are placing the new boot in a place that works.

Could you just turn the rubber around and run it backwards from what it is now?
heytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #3

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Cut the old boot out. Put a C7 backer nut in the hole. Fish the backer nut through the i-beams to the place that you want it. Cut a new hole just big enough for the C7 stem. Screw the two halves together. Patch over the boot hole with an inside and outside patch. Done.

don't try to reuse the old boot, or install a new riken style boot (even if you can find one). Just go with a new C7. Now is also the time to add a pressure release, if you want one.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015   #4

NE, Oregon
I get the mechanics of the repair. And to use C7 valves.

My concern is the "constriction" between the bow and main section, may cause problems when inflating.

It seems that there shouldn't be a problem, but its these kind of situations that surprise you sometimes. I was hoping someone had already done this modification or knew what the interior (main/bow interface) of the floor on these rafts looked like.

Thanks for the ideas
Willie 1.5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #5

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Well, I guess I never looked that close at a Riken i-beam floor, but I can't think of any possible reason why it would be a problem. If air flows one way though the interface between the parallel and the perpendicular i-beams, then it should flow the other way just fine and equalize. Any thing else would require some kind of strange and complicated construction inside there, and I think that Zodiac I/C valves have the patent on complicated stuff that dosen't make any sense inside boats.

I would go for it, but if you must, I bet somebody who knows for sure will chime in sooner or later.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #6

Sheridan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
We've moved valves in just about any boat you can think of and it would be no problem to do so in your Riken. Our business is new to the buzz and we don't have all of the fancy signature lines up and running yet so I'll just give you our # if you would like to discuss the repair. Oh, and if you attempt this yourself be careful removing the old valve, I've seen a lot of people cut into one or two I-beams while doing it turning a relatively easy job into a major repair.

Zach Sack
Whitewater Inflatable Repair
720-309-6225
Whitewater Repairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Turn the boat around

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote