Flatbed Truck For Rigged Raft - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Sounds to me like the easiest solution would be to move. I'm sure there are many places in AZ that will let you store a trailer. Forklift your whole life for a gift of a boat. I would do it.

...and then reality sets in (with a whip smacking sound in my head). Wife wouldn't go for that.

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Boats and boating have dictated most of our wedding anniversaries (which generally falls on/near Father's Day weekend and the back end of good Lochsa flows and great weather) and several of our family vacations.

I see no problem with that!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Don't even have this conversation with me, you enabler!

I was thinking the F800 because they often had the 8.3l 6cta Cummins. I don't think I'd go for the 7.8l Brazilian. What engine do you like in the Topkicks? I swapped the Eaton ESO66-7d 7spd o/d trans in place of the stock Spicer direct drive 5-speed and LOVED that trans.
Duramax 6600 with an allison, 500 some odd horse and if memory serves 700 ft lb of torque. The Cummins, or a cat are better but the ford they are bolted in is a true POS.. am ambivalent on the trans, as long as it has a split rear if it's a manual

Capacity (engines/transmissions/axles) are largely cook-booked. MDT's are way more modular than Chevy or Ford LDT's that have a ton more proprietary stuff in them.[/QUOTE]
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
If life was simple.

I just read a book by a dude named Mike Horn. His problems of circumnavigation of the planet mostly on foot through two winters north of the arctic circle seem minor by comparison.

Good luck.

Ron
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
The cost of buying another truck insurance and plates seems prohibitive. I think a storage unit, or a renting a place for an open it enclosed trailer is going to make more sense. If you're near q lake maybe there is some covered/ locked secure storage near by that would allow you to store your boat rigged on an open trailer ready to go any minute.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
The cost of buying another truck insurance and plates seems prohibitive. I think a storage unit, or a renting a place for an open it enclosed trailer is going to make more sense. If you're near q lake maybe there is some covered/ locked secure storage near by that would allow you to store your boat rigged on an open trailer ready to go any minute.
That's only if you are silly enough to tag it in CO...I keep my recreation vehicle with OK tags....costs me about $130/year tags and insurance. OK is totally fine with me living in CO and having their tags, just used my in laws address for registration but they mail everything in state...same with my state farm agent, in fact he insures my in state tagged cars too...at a fraction of the local agents....and OK doesn't require trailer registration or tags, but will sell you one for $15 so you won't get hassled if your are out of state.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27

Salida, Colorado
And that's why registration costs so much in CO, most of the snowbird Texans, Oklahomans etc that live here but register out of state, effectively stripping CO of the funds it sorely needs to repair the roads deteriorating from tourism and second home owners..

If only everyone played by the same rules, it would make it a lot easier on everyone collectively... Gaming the system may be good for you, but hurts everyone else...

Just sayin......
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I hope the people who avoid Colorado taxes are not the people who voted for the lawmakers who enacted said taxes.

Theoretically out of state visitors should be paying sales tax, and property tax on their vacation homes. Don’t you also have fuel tax for roads?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I hope the people who avoid Colorado taxes are not the people who voted for the lawmakers who enacted said taxes.

Theoretically out of state visitors should be paying sales tax, and property tax on their vacation homes. Donít you also have fuel tax for roads?

Some of them do, some of them don't, many of them have come here, bought up the rental market and turned it all into short term rentals, I mean, 2000 a month, or 2000 a week rent? I understand why, but that doesn't mean I like what it's doing to the town.

In Colorado, the state gas tax is 22 cents a gallon, but that falls far short of taking care of the cost to fix the roads and bridges. They DO pay property tax, but compared to most other states, it's VERY low, and mainly supports the schools and special districts, not the highways and secondary road maintenance costs.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
My cousin uses his snowmobile deck to transport his 14' Sotar inflated and mostly rigged on his 3/4 ton dodge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2146.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	41489  
wack is offline   Reply With Quote