Flatbed Truck For Rigged Raft - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It seems like you're letting the tail wag the dog here. If you don't already have a flatbed, what would you spend for one capable of what you're considering, and to use just so you can show up at the ramp rigged and ready? Like gdaut says, why not just spend that time rigging and derigging at the ramps? Maybe all you need is some decent roof racks for the frame and oars and the rest can go in a vehicle.

Good luck with your decision,

-AH

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarrel View Post
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...044639014.html

Get yourself a flatbed tow truck...

Then you could start a towing business to recoup the cost of running that truck !!!
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
It seems like you're letting the tail wag the dog here. If you don't already have a flatbed, what would you spend for one capable of what you're considering, and to use just so you can show up at the ramp rigged and ready? Like gdaut says, why not just spend that time rigging and derigging at the ramps? Maybe all you need is some decent roof racks for the frame and oars and the rest can go in a vehicle.

Good luck with your decision,

-AH
Come on, I LIKE this thread LOL

Nothing like over-complicating a situation to make an Engineer happy !!

If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Then you could start a towing business to recoup the cost of running that truck !!!
I was thinking it could be a shuttle service truck... this one truck could take two down to the take out.
mcfarrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarrel View Post
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...044639014.html

Get yourself a flatbed tow truck...
MDT's are stupid expensive to work on, especially the post-1996 electronic engines/transmissions. If you can do your own mechanical work, they're not bad...and have a crazy big payload, big axles, good brakes, etc.

Worst thing is that most of them are geared for city use, and 19.5" (fortunately this one appears to have 22.5" tires) will beat your kidneys up.

I used to have a 1989 International uhaul box truck, converted to toyhauler use. it was great. I still miss it about once a year. I've been sorely tempted by some mid-90's Ford crewcab F800's.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
I've been sorely tempted by some mid-90's Ford crewcab F800's.
The GMC topkick is a much better choice, capacity, ground clearance, engine choices, and you can find them easily around 14k$ with 150k miles...
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Don't even have this conversation with me, you enabler!

I was thinking the F800 because they often had the 8.3l 6cta Cummins. I don't think I'd go for the 7.8l Brazilian. What engine do you like in the Topkicks? I swapped the Eaton ESO66-7d 7spd o/d trans in place of the stock Spicer direct drive 5-speed and LOVED that trans.

Capacity (engines/transmissions/axles) are largely cook-booked. MDT's are way more modular than Chevy or Ford LDT's that have a ton more proprietary stuff in them.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18

phx, Arizona
Quote:

You might do a cost / benefit analysis, seems that no matter how I look at it, a trailer seems the cheaper and more versatile option, your problem being where to store it.
Yep! The cost of running a beast is exactly the input I needed. I have zero experience with larger trucks. It is better to bounce this idea off a forum than spend to much time spinning my wheels.

I a stealer of ideas of people much more creative than myself. I knew there would likely be somebody out there who use this a flatbed truckasaurus.
u2metoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19

phx, Arizona
Quote:
Come on, I LIKE this thread LOL

Nothing like over-complicating a situation to make an Engineer happy !!

If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet !!
exactly! ahahahahaha

It seems absurd to even contemplate this scheme, but I was thinking it was worth a shot to bounce this off a this veritable wasteland of information. HA!
u2metoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996

this company is from around here. they occasionally show up on craigslist for sale.
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote