Fishing on green river, Deso grays june 26 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2017   #1

Denver, Colorado
Fishing on green river, Deso grays june 26

I've got a 6/26 launch and wondering if there's any fish worth chasing in that stretch of river.
Thanks

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Catfish...water is pretty muddy.
markdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Nope
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Not a fishing river

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Crazy Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If you are strictly an elitist fly fisherman, the answer is no. If you occasionally like to kill something and eat it, there are thousands of delicious catfish in the entire Green/Colorado river system. They were introduced decades ago and are prolific. In Utah there is no limit on catfish in the entire Green River, since they are considered serious competition for the endangered native fish species. It can be quite entertaining to throw out some bait in front of camp and see what shows up. Fresh catfish fillets fried in butter are really a treat. And you can feel good about your contribution to the ecosystem. I haven't fished for them in Deso, but I have caught tons of small channel cats downstream of there on Cataract trips and in the San Juan. I like fly fishing for trout on clear mountain streams as well as the next guy, but don't overlook the kick of bait plunking and eating what you catch now and then. It's all fun.
Domar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Lots of mercury in the river - eating a little bit of fish from the river is fine, but i wouldn't eat a lot.

I've caught tons of catfish in Deso just using a safety pin tied to a piece of dental floss, but I just release them afterwards.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #7

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
You will hear a number of stories of kids and others catching small channel cats on make shift poles.

It is my understanding that their are some monster channel cats and some other species of catfish in the lower reaches of the Green River.

There are also likely Northern Pike and Burbot (fresh water ling cod with the body of an eal and the head of a catfish). The Pike and Burbot are invasive species that must be kept and killed - illegal to release.

With warm water and any structure I am sure there are bass as well.

I have a July 19 launch date for Deso and Gray. Hoping to hook a cat or pike the size of my leg.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #8

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I caught 4 small mouth bass from one of the side creeks a few years ago. I would have to check my guide book to know for sure which. I will be bringing a collapsible rod on my trip 7/1.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseim View Post
I've got a 6/26 launch and wondering if there's any fish worth chasing in that stretch of river.
Thanks
My first answer was Nope. That was based on the ? of any fish worth chasing? There are lots of fish to be caught on bait, but I don't consider that chasing more like waiting out
Old 05-09-2017   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Deso was made for cutting a pole from the willows and a tying line and hook to it. Any food as bait will result in a catfish hook up in under a minute (we use grapes). It's not really fishing, my kids call it catching. High mercury levels so we don't eat them. My understanding is it would be better to not return them alive to the river as they are a danger to the pike minnow (bony spines get caught in their throats killing the endangered species) but DWR regulations don't allow it. There is no limit though. If you catch a small mouth or walleye they cannot be returned to the river alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
richjz is offline   Reply With Quote