First time raft buyer - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-09-2019   #1

Elkins, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
First time raft buyer

Hey ya'll

Looking to buy my first raft and figured it would be best to go the used route. Most of the time I will be doing day trips or 2-3 days trips on rivers like the New. Ive read up on the materials, size and stuff like that. Right now looking at some smaller NRS and RMR rafts.

I am having trouble finding a lot of used rafts even though there is plenty of water near WV/VA where I live.

Any tips would be great!

Spencer

Spencerzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Keep an eye out on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. More should start popping up as it gets closer to boating season. Call any commercial outfits near you to see if they have any used gear they want to sell.

I think some of the sponsors on here have some used boats left they'd probably drop in the mail for you.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019   #3

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
Check the many facebook pages like "'muricas river gear swap" and "paddle 4 less" and rafters anonymous, there are many more, probably some WV specific pages, do some searchin. Boats come and go quick so you want to check frequently. https://www.facebook.com/groups/muricarivergearswap/
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019   #4

Try Searchtempest. It's a search engine that checks craigslist in whatever radius from home you decide.

https://www.searchtempest.com/
KipG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019   #5

Elkins, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
I found a 2016 ARIE Tributary 12HD seems in good shape but the price is near retail. I think the raft would be a good size for the part of WV I primarily float. Price will have to come down or Ill spend the extra couple hundred and get a brand new boat with a warranty
Spencerzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Watch outdoorplay.com a couple times a year they offer a 20% off code that includes boats... it can save you 800 or more dollars on a brand new boat..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019   #7

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Code HFX20 is valid right now brings a trib 12 down to $1959

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019   #8

Jamestown, Colorado
If you're thinking of going RMR, call Bobby directly and see if they have any demos/blemish/closeout boats. I scored a 14' dropstitch for close to a grand below MSRP.
Bleugrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerzzz View Post
I found a 2016 ARIE Tributary 12HD seems in good shape but the price is near retail. I think the raft would be a good size for the part of WV I primarily float. Price will have to come down or Ill spend the extra couple hundred and get a brand new boat with a warranty
I think you are starting to get a taste of the used raft market. They wont come down because the boat will sell at a stupid price and they know it.. I lost more money thinking I'd buy used. Repairs and just constant maintenance seems to be the deal with anything anyone is willing to sell.

IMHO, the only way to get into rafting is to buy a new maravia or sotar. Raft the hell out of it for 5 years and the sell it for what you paid and buy anther new maravia or sotar for 500 more. You end up with the best equipment at about 100 to 200 a year for the boat. You will drop way more than that on a used up boat just in head aches..... Valves can be 50 bucks each once you buy everything to replace them properly.. If possible don't buy used. Sell your used stuff at supid high prices. They will come.
Old 02-13-2019   #10

little rock, Arkansas
If you go new I highly recommend The Boat People. Great deals from great guys. They treated me right and I've sent friends their way who've been treated well too.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote