Mountain Buzz banner

First time raft buyer

11K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  beanack 
#1 ·
Hey ya'll

Looking to buy my first raft and figured it would be best to go the used route. Most of the time I will be doing day trips or 2-3 days trips on rivers like the New. Ive read up on the materials, size and stuff like that. Right now looking at some smaller NRS and RMR rafts.

I am having trouble finding a lot of used rafts even though there is plenty of water near WV/VA where I live.

Any tips would be great!

Spencer

#44 ·
Found a raft nearby that I'm going to look at tomorrow- was hoping to get some opinions from some people with more experience.

Here's the listing
https://www.facebook.com/ben.chandler.982/posts/10218347987309425

and this is the info I got from the seller.

I’m the second owner it was bought in Colorado from a white water outfitters I purchase it in 2015 so I think it’s a 2014 or 13 I’m not sure on the exact year . I used it on small rivers like the James for fishing it is always stored in a condition basement

thanks

#45 ·
That raft brand new from the dealer is $2800, and that frame well yeah don’t know what to say. I think you can do better personally. Getting into this sport can be expensive, so any chance to save money is nice, but if your going to do it for some time it’s always better to remember the cry once principle. It’s better to get quality at a higher price then have to purchase twice. Just my thoughts.

#48 ·
You can buy that boat right now new from outdoorplay.com with code MAX20 right now for $2200... keep in mind a lot of time if you are not shopping top of the line rafts the bargain is more in what comes with the raft rather than the boat itself.. i dont see that as a great deal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#49 ·
I want to thank everyone for the input over the past few weeks, I ended up driving down to Fayettville last weekend and bought a new RMR 12.0SB off Bobby. I'm stoked about the raft and getting everything ready for spring. I don't think ill ever be getting it back into the bag it came in, man PVC is bulky. Can a raft be stored outside (possibly on a trailer) but with a cover on it?

Which hand pumps do everyone reccommend? Ever build one?

#50 ·
Congrats on the new raft! Saturn boats were mentioned and for any others considering various brands, I wanted to add that my Saturn literally came unglued and fell apart; seams, D-rings, everything at just over 4 years old. You might make a case for them as a cheap disposable if you use it A LOT over maybe a 3 year period. Otherwise, they're horrible garbage. I had bought after a good experience with another cheap Korean brand that doesnt appear to be around any longer.

After hearing my selection of boat, you might not be surprised to hear me suggest a small double action pump for $10 on Amazon. They work fine and are size is good for all around use. The 4" barrel from NRS is awesome, I have one, but pretty bulky. A used k-pump would be good on the boat, but not worth the money new, I think. Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.