Family trip in Oregon or Idaho in August - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-11-2015   #1

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1993
Family trip in Oregon or Idaho in August

Looking for a good family rafting trip (2-3 days) in late August in Oregon or Idaho. Considered lower Salmon but apparently the recommended age for that stretch is 6 (our kids are 3 and 8 years-old). We are also concerned about the combination of the length of the trip and the heat exposure for the kids.

We are very experienced boaters but just don't want to push our kids too soon.

We would like class 3 ideally but would consider a class 2 trip. I know there are not many options around this time of year.

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated!

jessekinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015   #2

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Jeez I moved from bham last year cuz I couldn't find anyone to raft with ugh lol. .. lower deschutes is always good, we also spend a lot of weekends over on the mckenzie, cold water though , john day is a good family river although its out of water now
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Lower Deschutes may be the only option for a multiday with Kids in Oregon this year. McKenzie is a good river, but its car camping territory.

August will still be brutally hot on the Deschutes, and there isn't a ton of shade. There are some pretty nice campsites that DO have shade, you just need to find them. A lot of guides have bad BETA on this stretch due to recent fires. That being said...

The Campsite just downstream from Washout rapid is the best on the trip - especially with kids. It is in a huge eddy at the base of a Class III rapid, it has a large "shelf" where the water is only 6-12 inches deep so the kids can play pretty safely.

The train runs along this stretch, but aside from that you aren't likely to see anyone else out there. There are some snakes. There can be bugs.

I've never done section 3, but if you launch at section 4 you can make it here in a single (long) day and layover if you want to. only problem is that if its taken (there are room for 2-3 parties here), you are in a bad spot.
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015   #4

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
The lower rogue is an option if you can pick up a mid week cancelation. Just have kids walk around blossom bar. Have fun!
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Grand Rhonde

Grand Rhonde from Minam to Troy...
Beautiful river!
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #6

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
Grand Rhonde from Minam to Troy...
Beautiful river!
I was assuming that this will dry up this year in August. Otherwise, if there is water there it is a much better trip than the Lower Deschutes for little kids. Some of the most comfortable camping on a river you can find.
Old 06-11-2015   #7

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
You'll be fighting rattle snakes for water in August on the Grande Ronde!

There are several sections on the salmon that can ran with kids. Lucile to hammer creek for example. The lower in August is straight forward. I don't see many ppl floating the top side down on the lower in late summer.
Old 06-11-2015   #8

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Yes, but that is our standard here in NM.
We conquered both and had a great time!
The water was still plentiful and the snake was slow, after choosing to swim back to the wrong side of the river.

I'll look up my late august TR from a few years ago here on the Buzz and post a link.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
This was in our paper this morning.

Going Rogue | Outdoors | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon
Old 06-11-2015   #10

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
We did the lower rogue twice and the grande rhonde omce. If you are looking for some class II and III rapids I'd go with the rogue. If class I and a couple IIs are more your style I'd go with the grande rhonde.

The last trip we had a bald eagle swoop down eight in front of us and grab a baby duck. Pretty cool. On the grande rhonde we saw bighorn sheep and lots of deer.

Lots of day trips in Idaho without permit or overnighters but unsure of non permit multidays that would be good for younger kids.

Have fun!
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
august