EQUIPMENT QUESTION - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-24-2017   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
EQUIPMENT QUESTION

I would like some input on the best way to hang a cooler in my raft. I have a 13' raft with 35" space between the tubes. My cooler is 34" wide. SO what works best? Put it in a bag or hang it with brackets? Either method I use, I will hang it tight between two cross members on the frame. Will I need to be concerned about side sway between the tubes? The cooler will also double as a seat so I would like it as stable as possible.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT !!!

Skipperw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2017   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
It depends on the cooler. There are a couple of coolers out there that have a lip so it just rests on the cross bars. Most don't, so you have to either use cam straps or a drop bag as a sling under them. I'd have the drop bag custom made for it if you go that way, but its kind of expensive and straps work great. NRS makes these that do a nice job if you go with straps...

https://www.nrs.com/product/12051/nr...-cooler-mounts

I sit on my cooler too and so far, I've just used a pair of loop straps under the cooler and another pair on top and it has worked fine. I know a lot of people are happy with those NRS mounts but I haven't had good cause to get them yet.

There are some days I wanna get a Prospector 103 cooler from Canyon Coolers since it has a lip and just sits on the frame. Its nice since you don't have to undo the straps every time you need to get into the cooler.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017   #3

Shaver Lake, California
I don't particularly care for setting it in a bag if it is also a seat as it can rotate around quite a bit. I use 1.5" cam straps and I don't see that as inferior to a drop bag unless you have concerns about all the weight concentrated on a small area. While I don't see it being too much of an issue on most of the rotomolded coolers I might be skeptical on a lot of the traditional lighter weight coolers. Also several folks, including Cascade, make a strap sling. This might be slightly less cumbersome than straps, especially if you are buying straps. But I figure most have enough straps that it seems a bit excessive.

The Pelican coolers can be anchored down with strap slots on the corners. This holds it rock solid and makes a great seat. As a bonus it remains anchored to the boat even when I take the top strap off to get something out. I think the Prospector mentioned above has the slots as well or at the very least it can rest on the rim.
DaveScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2017   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Try something like this and some loop straps

https://www.jjkeller.com/shop/Produc...ctor?rrec=true

$20 or so and your good to go.
Old 12-25-2017   #5

Shaver Lake, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Try something like this and some loop straps

https://www.jjkeller.com/shop/Produc...ctor?rrec=true

$20 or so and your good to go.

Yup - Way cheaper than the NRS ones. It still could rock a bit, but shouldn't be too bad.
DaveScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017   #6

salem, Arizona
I just use nrs loop straps under it to hang. You can adjust up and down. Put straps over it if you really want to hold it in there tight or plan on doing any stunts.

I modified my loop straps for this use. The cam was just far enough away from the loop that it wanted to be almost under the cooler. Had the mother in law put it in the sewing machine and make the cam right next to the loop. That way the adjustment is easier

Sure the cooler might move a little if you sit on it, but if the cross members it sits between are tight enough to it, it will only rotate a little. No biggy.

Start super cheap and work your way up if need be. No sense in spending a 100 bucks and then find you didn't need to.
LoneWolf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017   #7

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
seat belt webbing

15 ft of 2" nylon webbing and an hour sewing by hand and one can produce a cooler harness that locks the cooler in place. Old seat belts clasps with the release turned inwards (GM) makes a mighty nice bear proof lock as well.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017   #8

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have a prospector 103 and have it sitting on frame, love it. Four 1 foot straps and done. I hope they build a 160-200 with the same design soon. have used the corners and just straps alone they all work, but the corners do help stabilize the cooler from rocking. Tried and hated putting a cooler in a hanging bag.
Old 12-28-2017   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a prospector 103 and have it sitting on frame, love it. Four 1 foot straps and done. I hope they build a 160-200 with the same design soon. have used the corners and just straps alone they all work, but the corners do help stabilize the cooler from rocking. Tried and hated putting a cooler in a hanging bag.
I ran into some guys that work for Canyon Cooler at Westwater and they said they were in the process of designing and producing a bigger prospector in that size range. I think they could be fairly succesful making a whole range including a 120ish size one and a 150ish size in addition to a very large one. I'm sure the straps work great, but it would be cool if they integrated a clamp in system of some sort as well.

I imagine they charge what they need to in order to make a profit and keep doing business, but it sure would make it hurt less if they were $100 less.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017   #10

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
When the coolers get big enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
I ran into some guys that work for Canyon Cooler at Westwater and they said they were in the process of designing and producing a bigger prospector in that size range. I think they could be fairly succesful making a whole range including a 120ish size one and a 150ish size in addition to a very large one. I'm sure the straps work great, but it would be cool if they integrated a clamp in system of some sort as well.

I imagine they charge what they need to in order to make a profit and keep doing business, but it sure would make it hurt less if they were $100 less.
When the coolers get big enough, we won't need those commie cat tubes.
....Just a floating down the river on the residual buoyancy.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote