Equador rafting - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-29-2018   #1
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Equador rafting

It looks like Iím going to have an opportunity to spend 18 Days in Equador in July/August this year. I have never left the country but will be with very experienced travelers who have local connections. Also, four of the eight people Iím traveling with were on my Grand trip last year and the rest we have rafted with in the past. We have one day scheduled to raft (not sure where) but our schedule is flexible. Just wondering if there is a day trip on class III-IV (like Westwater scale) water we shouldnít miss. Any other tips for unwary travelers (how bad are the piranhas)? Iím mostly just going along but would love to bring suggestions to the group. Thanks!

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018   #2

Grand Lake, Colorado
I lived in Equador for several years, mostly near a place called Banos. I highly recommend a few days in the area. There are several volcanos, one right next to town. More waterfalls than anyplace I've ever been. The llanganates national park is nearby and is amazing. There is a zip line near town that is a must do. There are rafting trips available, but I have never done any.
Banos is a really cool place with plenty of inexpensive places to stay, great food, and lots of stuff to see and do.
Riverratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
Earlier in my boating career, I got to boat in South and Central America quite a bit.

Ecuador is to me the gem country for boaters. I ended up making some 5 trips down there.

Phil and Mary DeReimer is the outfitter I used (they do small group, personal attention to individual skill set just awesome couple), with Small World Adventures (one of the first outfitters there and what a River Lodge they have) and Endless Rivers (Ken Kastorff. another first class river front lodge) all these folks offering first class boating experiences.

We always flew to Quito then drove to Baeza over the mountains and from Baeza over to Tena for awesome rivers based out of both cities. Been a few years but I bet they still do similar areas.

I recommend you do some research on the above outfitters and ask about possible day trips with them. There are riverside lodges there in the Baeza area that will just blow your mind with the food and facilities. Gina's there in the Baeza area is the place to hit for good food. You cannot miss with her Trout dishes.

If possible, get there a few days early and sight see in and around Quito. So much historical sites to see and just experience that city.

PS: I never saw piranhas, snakes and no biting insects anywhere, maybe I was lucky. Also do not miss the hot spring setup when you travel over the pass getting back to Quito.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2018   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks for the helpful replies. Okie, it looks like the itinerary that has been proposed closely follows your suggestions. And our group is going to adjust our schedule to raft two days! Both replies are encouraging to me as a wary traveler. It sounds like paradise!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
That area around Baeza is where three rivers come together. All of these rivers have world class white water. If possible spend time at Small World river front lodge. This is the first WW oriented lodge built there and was designed by world class boaters for world class boating experiences. Hand built by locals it is perfect. Just upstream is Endless Rivers lodge also on the river and build a few years after Small World built their lodge. I do remember SWA did a paddle raft trip one year.

That drive over the mountains is as scenic as scenic gets. Been a few years but my first trip was when the road was all dirt, no guard rails and not for the faint of heart. I have been blessed to boat all over South and Central America. When it comes places to boat, that area around Baeza and Tena is indeed a WW boater's paradise. Take your camera and plenty of batteries and storage media.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote